Five Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Ahh Black Friday– the avid shopper and deal junkie’s holiest day of the year. It’s crazy, it’s nerve-racking, it’s exhilarating, and there’s no other day of the year quite like it. There really is no excitement like a good Black Friday haul, but the deals can come at a cost. Every year there’s a slew of horror stories from being trampled to getting into fights to breaking the budget; but the deals don’t have to come at this expense. With just a few tips, the chaos of Black Friday can reduce and become a much more enjoyable time. Here are just a couple of ways to make the most out of your Black Friday and holiday shopping experience! 

Don’t Go Alone!

Things are always more fun with your close friends by your side! Shopping and hanging out with friends is always a good bonding experience, especially during the holiday season. Also, having a buddy not only to enjoy yourself with, but to have your back throughout the chaos is always a good idea. Without a doubt, things get hectic on Black Friday, and going out alone could be very intimidating and even dangerous. In addition, you already know parking is going to be atrocious, so carpooling is key. Riding together in one or two cars instead of all driving separate will limit the amount of parking spaces you need to compete for. So hop in the car together, put some bops on the aux cord, and prepare for the whirlwind of deals and excitement that is Black Friday.

Ask How Long the Deals Will Last

Many times, Black Friday deals aren’t solely exclusive to the day itself. Sometimes, they may extend for the entire weekend after Thanksgiving– or even longer. Last year, I decided to go Black Friday shopping at a mall with a group of friends. We visited many stores, but the one where I felt I could do the most damage was American Eagle Outfitters. I don’t remember exactly what they were, but I know that the deals were amazing and I was so excited for a cute and cozy haul. The only problem: the checkout lines. Yes, the store was very packed, but getting the items that I wanted was the easy part. The lines were just so outrageous that I couldn’t handle it, and I wound up just putting everything back and leaving. However, a few days later on Sunday, I went to a different American Eagle Outfitters. And oddly enough, all of the clothes that I wanted were still in stock, and the deals were still in full force. All in all, it won’t hurt to ask employees of your favorite stores when the deals will go until. If they last longer than Black Friday itself, then you can avoid the havoc all together and still rake in the deals.

Plan, Plan, Plan

Planning is always an important tool no matter what it’s used for. On such a potentially crazy day, creating an itinerary and doing your research is something that can ease the mayhem. Going to a shopping mall or store outlet without any clue of what you’re doing is a recipe for disaster. It is so easy to get overwhelmed with hundreds or even thousands of people swarming around, and this feeling is heightened when you don’t sort things out prior. In order to prevent this, you have to do your research. Take just a little bit of time to sit down and really think about what you’re looking for and what kind of deals you can find online. Write them down, sort out the order of the stores you want to visit, create a budget, and show up ready to kick some ass (hopefully not literally)! In addition, you can try and plan out a time that is good for you and  for crowd control. Not everyone is up for the 4 a.m. shopping run However, it is necessary that you are alert and ready to pop off at those stores. Also, it can be hard to predict crowd patterns, but avoiding the Black Friday superfans and the crazy moms on the hunt for the best Christmas deals could save some stress.

Just Stay Home

Another technique to beat the madness is to just stay home. With the growing popularity of online shopping, stores may have Black Friday deals online as well as in-store. Rather than fighting your way through a crowd and losing your mind trying to get the best deal, you could just stay in the comfort of your bed! Although the thrill of a conventional Black Friday may be lost, it could definitely be a better alternative if you’re looking for a low-key shopping experience with the same great deals. In addition, if the online Black Friday deals aren’t everything you’ve dreamed of and more, you could always wait for Cyber Monday deals to roll around. I totally prefer a classic Cyber Monday deal, as they are made for the online consumer. But with increasing online activity for Black Friday itself, shopping on the internet is becoming a reality for great deals throughout the entire week. You don’t have to leave your own house anymore to score a good deal.

Stick to a Budget

It can be very easy to go a little too crazy when it comes to your Black Friday haul, but an important tip is to determine a budget beforehand and stick to it. Although the thrill of getting a discount is exciting, sometimes people just end up buying something to buy it. If you’re curious whether you should buy 3 tvs and get the 4th one free, the answer is no. Don’t get enticed to spend more money than you want to. Making sure that you know what you’re looking for beforehand, or assigning yourself a strict budget, is important to maintain your self control on such a tempting day. Also, despite the fact that there is so much anticipation and hype for Black Friday, it isn’t the only day of the year where you can get those great deals. I have been underwhelmed so many times by Black Friday deals, and so overwhelmed by some random deals in the middle of March. Moreover, it is important to know yourself and what you want out of deals this Black Friday.

All in all, Black Friday can be equally intimidating and thrilling. Thinking about the deals and the haul of your dreams is so exciting, but the beast of the holiday shopping season cannot be tamed without a little knowledge on the topic. Just a few simple tips can turn a scary, stressful experience into a carefully planned mission to find the hottest deals. I wish everyone the best of luck in their endeavors to make the most out of their Black Friday experience, and I hope that some of these tips will come in handy!   

Tori is a current freshman at Rutgers University from Middletown, New Jersey. She is pursuing a major in Marketing and loves to watch Netflix, write, travel, and be outside.
Alishbah Arsalan is a graduating senior at Rutgers University majoring in Health Administration and minoring in Human Resource Management.