Finding Your Fortune

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you cannot help but smile when you see take-out bags from your favorite Chinese food restaurant plop down on the counter. The room suddenly fills with the sweet smell of fried rice, fresh dumplings, and hot miso soup, and everyone grabs their forks ready to dig in. While enjoying delicious Chinese food is great, my favorite part of the meal always comes at the end一the fortune cookie. Not only are these cookies the perfect sweet component to a salty meal, but they hold powerful sayings that we can live by. It may sound silly to hold words found inside a cookie to such high regard, but ever since I was a young girl I have found comfort and hope in whatever my fortunes read. No matter how chaotic or challenging life may seem at times, it is important to always remain positive for the future by finding your fortune. 

Just a few short weeks ago, I sat at the kitchen counter with my parents feeling completely lost and upset. After going through a recent break up, I had called my mom and asked her to come pick me up from school. I figured some time at home would be the trick to overcoming this “blah” feeling that seemed to be clouding over me. To my surprise, when I walked into my house I was greeted by the site of take-out bags from Hunan Taste, my favorite Chinese food restaurant! After putting my finished plate in the sink, I reached down into the bottom of the brown bag to grab a fortune cookie. I tugged off the wrapper and broke the cookie in half, just going through the motions and not really thinking anything of it. Then, as I pulled out the thin strand of white paper and read my fortune, I could not help but smile. 

The words “You will be lucky in love” jumped off the paper and immediately reminded me to trust that everything will work out. Whether it be feeling down after a break up, stressed about schoolwork, or just anxious in general, learning to live by our fortunes can help us see the light in our darkest of days. Something I like to do with my favorite fortunes is to put them in my phone case, this way they are always with me. Recording them in a journal, taping them up on the wall, or even just holding them in your heart are all ways to keep your fortunes close to you as a reminder in times of need.

Next time you get Chinese food, I encourage you to read your fortune and think about how it may pertain to your life right now. My mom would always tell me that in life it is usually mind over matter. What better way to fill your life with positivity than a great fortune? I think to myself, who would have thought that I would receive a fortune about love right after going through a bad breakup? Learning to shift your mindset is the first step in tackling any adversity life may throw at you, and let’s face it, life throws lots of them! I promise you though, endless doors open as soon as you start trusting your process, believing in yourself, and living by your fortune.

Samantha Fornini is a sophomore at Rutgers University majoring in Linguistics with a minor in Cognitive Science. On her free time she enjoys reading, hanging with friends, and running!