Fall Festivities at Rutgers University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

In the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald, “Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.”  No one knows this to be more true than college students, especially here at Rutgers University. As the temperatures begin to drop (and those of us without air conditioning rejoice in the unplugging of our fans), the campus comes alive with all sorts of fall festivities. Whether you are in search of a creative date to share with your significant other, looking to make fun plans with friends, or simply seek a peaceful afternoon to yourself, there is no shortage of things to do at Rutgers this fall! 

1. Check out the Farmers Market.

When you begin to crave some fresh fall foods and the dining hall just doesn’t cut it, support your local community by making a trip to the Rutgers Gardens Farmers Market. Located at the entrance to Rutgers Gardens, the Farmers Market is open to both students and the general public on Fridays from 11:00am – 5:00pm until November. Pick up some autumn staples that the market is proud to offer, such as locally grown produce, baked goods, and cheese.

2. Indulge in a delicious drink.

Whether you are a die-hard pumpkin spice addict or would prefer a big cup of hot chocolate, Rutgers has endless options when it comes to finding the perfect fall drink. Big-name coffee brands such as Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are both notoriously know for spicing up the autumn season, and can be found on the Livingston campus. If a more intimate setting is what you desire, head over to Hidden Grounds on Easton Avenue. Make sure to visit this cozy coffee shop’s Facebook page for updates on fun events such as latte art classes and musical performances. 

3. Get physical.

Autumn’s perfect weather always seems to come and go in the blink of an eye, so take advantage of it’s ephemeral beauty by exercising outside!  Rutgers is home to several picturesque parks, such as Boyd Park and Buccleuch Park, which both offer scenic walking and running trails. If you don’t mind getting down and dirty, why not take a hike? The Rutgers University Ecological Preserve (otherwise known as Kilmer Woods) is located on the Livingston Campus and contains several miles of hiking trails. Enjoy the changing colors of leaves and other vivid views all while experiencing a great total-body workout. 

4. See a movie. 

Netflix and chill may be getting old, but a trip to the movie theater will never go out of style. At the Rutgers Cinema, students can purchase a ticket, popcorn, and soda for just $8.50. Current releases include The Intern (Robert De Niro + Anne Hathaway = instant hit) and The Martian (the film’s catchphrase “bring him home” is perfectly appropriate because, well, who wouldn’t want to bring Matt Damon home?). And with Halloween quickly approaching, the cinema will soon feature new horror films like Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, so be sure to check out the Rutgers Cinema website for up-to-date showtimes and promos.

5. Attend Scarlet Harvest. 

Does anything else scream “fall time at Rutgers” more than RUPA’s Scarlet Harvest? Taking place October 14th from 3:00pm – 6:00pm at the Douglass Campus Woodlawn, Scarlet Harvest is a celebration of all the great things the fall time has to offer. This annual celebration will include attractions such as a tarot card reader, caricature artist, photo booth, and free food (that alone makes it worth checking out- am I right?!). 

So whether your plans for this fall include sipping on pumpkin spices lattes or jogging through the park  (or both!), Rutgers University is the perfect place to have a fun-filled season.

Brenna Mazur currently attends Rutgers University to study marketing and journalism. She is a huge fan of winning free concert tickets and going on froyo dates. She also enjoys hanging out with her dog.