Escaping Rutgers… and ‘The Dig’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

In the midst of midterms, feeling exhausted from long nights of studying and long days of exams, I decided to take a little mini weekend getaway. Rutgers is a great place to be, but after two weeks of writing papers and back to back exams, I wanted to be anywhere but New Brunswick. So, I went to visit my high school best friend at Boston University. For those of you who have never been to Boston (like myself, a week ago), let me just say this: go! You absolutely have to see how beautiful it is. Between Quincy Market, the Seaport, and Newbury Street, it’s amazing. Like a calmer-cleaner-less-crowded NYC, but 4 hours away instead of 1. Sightseeing was incredible, the food was delicious, and the downtown bars were a great time. But, my favorite part of all, was the little hidden gem we found downtown. I mean literally: we found gems, inside a cave, in downtown Boston.

Okay, so maybe this cave was on the 3rd floor of a building in downtown Boston, but it still counts!

When we walked out of the elevator and into the ‘Escape the Room’, we were met by black and white, zig zag walls, which were enough to make my head spin and make me want to escape from the hallway alone. Then, with a group of another four people, we were met by an employee who gave us very limited instructions. We were told not to mess with floorboards or wall tiles, and not to break anything. Then, we were showed an emergency key (which doesn’t count as an escape!), and locked in a room for 60 minutes. Simple as that. So as not to ruin the experience for anyone else, I’ll keep out any details. But I will say, it’s intense to be in a cave, with puzzles, candles, and a countdown clock, and no other instruction. We escaped with 3 minutes and 4 seconds to spare, and had an amazing time. And the upside- we have plenty of ‘Escape the Rooms’ right around Rutgers! No need for a 4 hour drive to get trapped in a cave, voluntarily! Comment below and let us know if you’ve tried any ‘Escape the Rooms’ near us! 

Milena Drozd is a passionate, optimistic, and conscientiousness person, majoring in Communication with a specialization in Public Relations. In her spare time, Milena can be found in the kitchen, either baking, cooking, or eating- sometimes even all of the above. Rest assured, there is usually a laptop or iPad playing "Criminal Minds" or "Law and Order: SVU" on Netflix within earshot.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.