This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Creative block: An artist, writer, or inventor’s worst nightmare. But, as much as we try to avoid it, there are some days where it overtakes us; when that happens, we can either wallow in a pit of demotivation or follow these motivating tips to win the battle. 

Acquire a change of scenery

Sometimes the desk, office, or studio we work in is the root of our creative block. You might feel uninspired because you are in an area that is too familiar. There is nothing to spark that fervent urge to create. To acquire a change in scenery, try going outside—exploring a park or a new cafe, where unknown faces come and go—or sit in the silence of a library. A new workplace can get those creative gears running again.

Romanticize the process

If it isn’t possible to change the location of where you are working, try improving the area you already have. Add candles, bring snacks and drinks, and set up decorations to set the perfect mood for inspiration to hit.

Create something without regard for the outcome

Often, we get hung up on the quality of what we make, but this can also be another cause for creative blocks. Having an expectation for ourselves (and not meeting it) can instill doubt in our abilities and crumble our confidence. Therefore, when suffering from a creative block, it is important to make something in order to enjoy the creative process, instead of striving for a perfect result.

Search for inspiration

We can’t always expect inspiration to come to us. In fact, it is rare that it will. Usually, you will have to take it upon yourself to look for inspiration. You have to force yourself to push aside your lack of enthusiasm and find that object, person, or idea that will cause a cascade of brilliant ideas and reignite your love of creating.

Take a break

Still, despite these tips, a creative block is difficult. It is saddening and belittling, and sometimes you just don’t feel like writing, drawing, or producing. And, that’s okay! We should be kind to ourselves. It might be best to take a step back for a couple days, and when we feel ready to return, creativity will guide us again.

Halima Niazi

Rutgers '26

Halima is the Social Media Director of Her Campus at Rutgers. She is a sophomore, majoring in Cell Biology and Neuroscience and minoring in Creative Writing. She loves writing stories (and has aspirations to publish her own novel), dressing up, and eating sweets.