This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Now that many people are a few weeks into stay-at-home orders and social distancing, it can start to feel as though any bursts of productivity someone may have used to pick up new habits are beginning to fade as the reality of staying home for the foreseeable future sets in. Watching a good TV show can help take one’s mind off of their surroundings for a few hours. While we live in a media age where there are more content and streaming services available than ever before, rewatching the same classic shows over and over again can provide a sense of familiarity during a time of uncertainty. But, exploring new options can help bring back that sense of discovery and might even lead you to your next underrated favorite. When the world around you feels tumultuous, relax your mind with these comfort-inducing shows that can all be quickly binged.

The Good Place

Created by the seasoned network sitcom writer Michael Schur (who also created Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks and Recreation and wrote for The Office and Saturday Night Live), this series begins after Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) dies and wakes up in an afterlife full of good people where she quickly realizes that her self-proclaimed ‘Arizona trash bag’ self clearly does not belong. There’s not much else that can be said about the plot of The Good Place on the surface, since the show has a habit of dropping game-changing plot twists that will make you rethink the structure of the entire series multiple times per season. Much of the humor is quirky commentary on today’s society through an afterlife lens, and thanks to Chidi Anagonye’s (William Jackson Harper) philosophy professor character, you’ll learn way more about human ethics and morality than you ever expected from a comedy series. What makes The Good Place a calming watch is how the show can equally make you laugh and feel hopeful about the genuine goodness that remains in others if you give them a chance to show it. Basically, if you’re a fan of sitcoms and haven’t given The Good Place a chance yet, then what the fork are you doing?

Seasons 1-3 are available on Netflix, while the final season of The Good Place can be watched on NBC.

Four Weddings and a Funeral

If social distancing has you missing your group of friends back at school the most, and regular FaceTime hangouts just won’t cut it, the soapy friendship drama in Hulu’s Four Weddings and a Funeral should help satisfy those needs. Loosely adapted from the 1994 movie of the same name, this limited series co-created by Mindy Kaling is essentially a ten-episode long romantic comedy. Four Weddings and a Funeral tells the story of a group of twenty-something college friends living in London whose personal lives become increasingly intertwined when Maya (Game of Thrones’ Nathalie Emmanuel) visits from America for what turns into an extended stay. While the series does have some darker moments, the overall tone of the show is distinctly lighthearted and provides the sort of breezy comfort that only a rom-com can.

Four Weddings and a Funeral is streaming on Hulu.

Derry Girls 

Everything about Derry Girls is completely chaotic, but that’s what makes the show so good. Set in 1990s Northern Ireland in the midst of the sectarian political turmoil known as “the Troubles”, Derry Girls features five teenagers navigating their adolescence at a mostly all-girls Catholic high school (save for Michelle’s (Jamie-Lee O’Donnell) British cousin James (Dylan Llewellyn)). This series is one of the few coming of age stories that doesn’t overly dramatize the lives of its main characters. Come for the hilarious mixture of overconfident teenage cluelessness with dry adult sarcasm and stay for the unexpected heartwarming moments of friendship. Derry Girls relies on the theme of finding humor in stressful circumstances, which can be especially needed nowadays.

Derry Girls is currently available on Netflix.

Rilakkuma and Kaoru

The simplest way to describe Rilakkuma and Kaoru is that the Netflix animated series feels the way that relaxing Sunday afternoons at home do. Set over the course of a year, the show follows Kaoru (voiced by To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before’s Lana Condor) struggling to get through the day to day demands of adult life, with the help of her bear companions. The stop-motion animation style is extremely aesthetically pleasing to watch and enhances the adorableness of the show. But don’t be fooled by the childlike cuteness of the series, as it also touches on more serious issues such as work problems and loneliness. Each episode of Rilakkuma and Kaoru is only about ten minutes long and ends with a comforting message that will stick with you after you’ve already hit the next episode button.

Rilakkuma and Kaoru is streaming on Netflix.

Shrill

Consider Hulu’s original series Shrill an introductory class to not caring about what others think of you and acknowledging your own worth. The show journeys low-level newspaper employee Annie (SNL’s Aidy Bryant) as her desire to write more stories leads her down a path of finding her voice and self-discovery that unexpectedly spills over into her personal life. Much of the humor definitely leans towards the quirkier side, though it is well-balanced with the more dramatic aspects of the show and doesn’t shy away from presenting serious topics as they are. What Shrill manages to capture so well about a story like Annie’s is the ups and downs, which can at best result in someone becoming more unapologetic but at worse lead them to act selfish towards those in their life from time to time. For those who pledged to use their quarantine time to work on more self-care, this show should definitely help you get there.

Shrill is available to watch on Hulu.

Glow Up

It can be easy to feel creatively stifled during this quarantine with everything going on in the world right now, even though some people technically have more time on their hands to work on various projects. Whether you’re searching for your next big inspiration or just really love makeup and miss playing around with it everyday, the reality series Glow Up is worth looking into. The show challenges aspiring professional makeup artists to showcase their unique set of skills across various types of makeup applications such as editorial, special effects, drag, and red carpet. Though a reality competition show may not exactly seem comforting, and there are plenty of dramatic moments for the contestants and biting comments from the judges, every episode there will be at least one beauty look that will leave you in awe of the talent behind the creation.

Glow Up is streaming on Netflix.

Schitt’s Creek

Though Schitt’s Creek has the most episodes of any show on this list, it’s so enjoyable to watch that you’ll be halfway through the entire series before you even realize it. Created by the father-son duo Eugene and Dan Levy, this Canadian series starts with the downfall of the upper class Rose family as they are forced to move to a motel in the small town of Schitt’s Creek that they once bought as a joke after losing all of their money. What follows is six full seasons of the family’s ridiculous struggles adjusting to their new normal lives, enough bickering between David (Dan Levy) and Alexis (Annie Murphy) that everyone with a sibling can relate to and Moira’s (Catherine O’Hara) scene-stealing antics. Schitt’s Creek never once loses sight of its core self-discovery narrative for each member of the Rose family and features some of the best-written character development on any modern comedy series.

Seasons 1-5 of Schitt’s Creek are available on Netflix, while the last season can be viewed on Pop TV.

During times like the present, it is more important than ever to remember to look after your own well-being, even if it’s just for ten minutes. So make your favorite snack, cozy up under a blanket or two and throw on a show that will ease your mind for a little while.

Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.