This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Name: Hinal Patel

Hometown: Livingston, NJ

Major: Finance & Supply Chain Management

Relationship status: In a committed relationship with FOOD!

What are three words that you would use to describe yourself?

Hardworking, Optimistic, Caring

What are some activities that you participate in at Rutgers?

I am currently an Assistant Director for the Comedy and Media Committee of RUPA (Rutgers University Programming Council). RUPA organizes 150-200 events a year, both small and large, ranging from concerts such as Beats on the Banks and comedy shows to various arts and crafts around campus and cider and donut tents, all for the Rutgers Undergraduate student body that caters to a diverse range of interests!

I also work for the Rutgers Office of Information Technology as a Computer Lab consultant at the computer centers on College Avenue’s campus. ☺

What do you like most about your extracurriculars, and what makes you want to keep pursuing them?

RUPA is such a huge part of my life and I am so fortunate and honored to be on council because I absolutely love event planning and giving back to the community/helping others, which is the main goal of RUPA! I love being able to help organize an event with my other council members who have become my second family. I will definitely continue being a part of RUPA because it is so rewarding to be able to give my peers fun opportunities and events to go to and help them de-stress from school. RUPA has strengthened my passion for event planning, and when I am a few years into the working world, I would love to even pursue corporate event planning.

I also love working at the computer labs because I have learned so much about troubleshooting and fixing computers which I didn’t know much about before this job, and I am always learning along the way which is why I will definitely keep working here. It also gives me a chance to help out others if they ever need help at any of the labs. ☺

What motivates you to keep going when stressful circumstances arise? What is your favorite way to unwind when you’re feeling stressed?

When I am stressed, the things that motivate me are my family, my friends, and knowing that eventually all my hard work will pay off one day! Whenever I am stressed with exams or work, etc., I always try to put things into perspective to myself and tell myself that whatever is meant to be, will happen, and everything will be fine! I always try looking on the brighter side of things – makes life a lot more fun ☺

My favorite way to unwind is to take a nap, watch TV/Netflix, or listen to music!

What is your proudest achievement?

My proudest achievement is when I was awarded the Distinguished Vice President award for my high school’s community service organization Key Club!

If you weren’t pursuing a career in business, what would you most like to do?

If I wasn’t pursuing a career in business, I would love to be a high school English teacher or work as a wedding planner or own my own restaurant/bakery!

Where is one place you’ve always wanted to travel to?

Africa — Kenya or Zambia and see where my parents grew up!

Favorite TV show/ Favorite band?

Scandal/One Direction

How has your time spent at Rutgers so far molded you?

Since coming to Rutgers, I have developed into a much more confident person and have participated in activities and pursued things outside my comfort zone, like presenting an Equity Research project to a Senior Portfolio Manager for a stock I previously knew nothing about, and by working at the computer labs and taking on the responsibility of learning about computers and teaching/helping others about something I didn’t know how to do nor did I have an interest in learning before coming to RU!

What is some advice you can give to underclassmen looking to get involved on campus?

Don’t be scared. Go out and try new things. This is the time for you to explore different opportunities, so take advantage of it and don’t be afraid! If you try out for a club or apply for a board position and don’t get it – don’t be discouraged and try again! Participate in whatever you can – you’ll learn so much on the way and meet so many amazing new people.

What is your #1 goal this year?

To get a good internship for the summer! (hopefully a supply chain internship at a makeup/fashion company)

Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.