8 Times Grownish Was Relatable AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Grownish, a spinoff of ABC’s Blackish is a show that everyone needs to watch at some point. Yara Shahidi plays  the role of Zoey. A girl who finds herself in a new world, California University. Facing things she would have ever never imagined. Watch out world Zoey is grown now or grown-ish.  

Being a collegiate, this show is relatable in so many ways. I guarantee you’ll love every minute of Grownish. You’ll wish it was longer than just the thirty minutes at the end of each episode. Grownish comes on FREEFORM every Wednesday at 8/7c! You can also watch it on the FREEFORM app.

Zoey or the other characters will in one way or another remind you of yourself or your friends. Here’s why:

1. When your crush didn’t respond to your first text you sent thirty more to follow. Why? Maybe because you’re fearless and who cares about double texts, right? Until he replied “please stop” and your life was ruined. #DEAD

2. You have one friend who is unapologetically bold and forth coming when it comes to sex. Sometimes things can get really REAL.

3. You dated multiple people and thought everything was going fine until something crazy happened. Perhaps you  accidentally picked up a facetime call while talking to Bae #1. Oh wait, that would never happen, but oh wait, it did! Are you #TeamAaron or #TeamLuca?

4. You had to constantly remind your parents that everything was going to be fine now that you were in college. Yet, they were still worried about you and called fifteen times a day.

5.   You did things in college you thought you never do. Face it, you lost yourself and that’s okay because you found yourself in the end.

6. You went out on Thursday knowing you had an 8am on Friday. You thought you could balance partying and school. The red cup won because you stayed in bed and missed class the next morning because you woke up late.

7. You checked to see if you had service when your crush took more than a minute to text you back. Is my phone broken? No, it works they are just busy.

8. Every time you got an A on exam or made the Dean’s List you thought you were a total boss babe and felt unstoppable.

If you haven’t watched Grownish yet I definitely recommend that you do very soon. It tackles topics that may be difficult  like sexuality, drug use, feminism, and so much more. It reminds us all that once we get to college we think we are officially “grown” and know everything yet, like Zoey said, “The one thing that I didn’t know about college…was that, in all actuality, I would soon discover that I didn’t know anything.”

All gifs are Courtesy of GIPHY

Alexis Martin

Rutgers '19

Blogger Babe + Owl Lover. Currently a senior at Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor degree in Criminal Justice. Things I love more than HC... brunch, planning, the city, and of course Netflix! I also have a blog over at www.alexishoots.com! Go check it out if you loved this article!