7 books you need to read this fall

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

From the ripe age of 7, my ideal night has consisted of cozying up with a book and a warm drink under a fuzzy blanket. There’s just such a comforting feeling in getting lost in a world other than your own. This summer I decided to further this passion of mine by starting a bookstagram (@readwithsv). Upon joining the bookstagram community this summer, I’ve realized just how many people want to begin or rekindle their reading journey, and what better season to begin this than fall! Whether you’re a fantasy fanatic, romance lover, or thriller addict, light your favorite candle and grab your favorite drink, because here are 7 books/series by women that you’ve got to read this season:

fall bookstagram post @readwithsv

The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V.E. Schwab

If you love an artsy and mystical aesthetic, then The Invisible Life of Addie Larue is just the book for you. When Addie, a girl who is set to have an arranged marriage in 1714 France makes a deal with the devil, she is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets – that is – until she encounters a young man in a bookstore that changes her fate. This book lives rent-free in my brain, and I’m sure you’ll be thinking about it all the time too if you decide to pick it up. Although some say it has a slow start, trust me, and stick with it!

Divine rivals by Rebecca Ross

When 18-year old journalist Iris Winnow begins writing letters to her brother on her grandmother’s old typewriter, they mysteriously disappear, only to fall into the hands of her rival journalist Roman Kitt. As Roman anonymously writes her back, the two of them find solace in each other and their struggles to meet society’s expectations. However, they also inspire each other to pursue their passions, which leads them to write about their biggest topic yet – the ongoing war against the gods. With an enemies-to-lovers trope, action-packed sequences, and a steadfast female character, you’ll eat up Ross’s beautiful prose in no time.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

For those who love a good classic, Little Women contains the very essence of a cozy fall. Set in the Civil War, four sisters with distinct interests and personalities navigate womanhood together. Highlighting themes such as sisterhood, family responsibilities, feminism, and love, Little Women is sure to make you smile, laugh, and cry in the span of a few short hours.

The Housemaid by Freida McFadden

The Housemaid is the perfect binge-worthy psychological thriller. When Millie is hired by the wealthy Winchesters to be their live-in housemaid, she is thrilled at the prospect of a paying job and a place to stay. However, when Mrs. Winchester tells her that she will be staying in the minuscule attic which locks only from the outside, a domino effect of strange occurrences begin, and lead up to the reveal of a bone-chilling truth.

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros

For lovers of Divergent, dragons, and a romance subplot, Fourth Wing is sure to grab your attention and keep it too. Twenty-year-old Violet Sorrengail has always wanted to enter the Scribe Quadrant, one of the four Quadrants of Basgiath War College. However, when her mother, the commanding general, orders her to attend the brutal war college that trains dragon riders, she quickly becomes unsure of who she can trust. Several of those who have been training for the Riders Quadrant since childhood are out to get Violet to ensure their own success in the college, and the tasks that the riders are expected to complete are more difficult than Violet could have ever imagined. Moreover, she is scared of her attraction to the dangerous but handsome wingleader Xaden Riorson. Given the high stakes of the college and the ongoing political conflict, Violet has only two options: graduate or die.

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

For all the good girls with a bad side, this one’s for you. This YA trilogy follows Pippa, a teenage girl who wants to uncover the truth about the murder of Sal Singh, a local boy from her high school, as her final project. As Pippa steps into the role of detective, she is put in harm’s way, and questions the motives of those around her. The third book of the series is one my Roman Empires – I quite literally think about the ending every day. While you can stop after the first book, I think the series gets better with each book!

The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Yet another YA trilogy, The Inheritance Games is perfect for Knives Out lovers. When Avery Grambs mysteriously inherits Tobias Hawthorne’s $46 billion will, members of the Hawthorne family are outraged. But the catch is, if Avery hopes to lay claim to the inheritance, she must live with the Hawthorne’s for an entire year, including the four charming Hawthorne grandsons. Filled with rich-people drama, a mind-boggling mystery, and a love-triangle, you’ll be sure to zoom through this series.

All these books/series are ones that I’ve personally rated at least a 4/5 stars and would read again. Whether you’re new to reading or are looking for new books to add to your fall tbr (to be read) stack, these books are perfect to capture your attention and set the fall mood. Happy reading!

Sahana is a student at Rutgers University studying Psychology and English. She is an avid reader and hopes to publish her own book one day! Follow her bookstagram @readwithsv