Style > Fashion

5 Must-Have Pieces for an Elevated Early-20s Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

As college comes to an end, I have been feeling like I’m outgrowing my wardrobe. In high school, I was married to my skinny jeans, converse, and sweaters from American Eagle, but those pieces aren’t necessarily “me” anymore. Throughout my late teens and early 20s, I’ve been on a journey of transforming my closet, and I’ve been looking for pieces and accessories that are more in line with the woman I want to be. If you’re on a similar quest, here are some must-have staples you should consider to elevate your teenage wardrobe that may make you feel more confident. Even better, you don’t need to break the bank! There are plenty of affordable options that are classy, well-made, and timeless.

blazer

Blazers are one of the biggest trends happening right now, and for good reason. They make any look appear more put-together and intentional. Try throwing a blazer over a sweater, t-shirt, or even an athleisure look. Whatever your vibe is, there is a blazer that will elevate your outfit. Stores like Target have amazing options, such as classic blazer styles as well as more modern versions, like ones made of satin. Here’s a TikTok giving some further style tips on how to style blazers!

@sistersguidetostyle

✨Share, save, follow for more. Comment for lnkx, DM me, or shop everything in my profile. #blazerstyling #blazerstyle #howtostyleablazer #howtowearablazer #blazer

♬ original sound – Abby | Amazon Fashion
Trousers

This fall, swap out sweatpants or jeans for a pair of fashionable trousers! Jeans have always been my default when it comes to “dressing up,” but I’ve recently learned the beauty of styling a pair of trousers or linen pants. They’re perfect for work, school, hanging out with friends, and going out; they’re more comfortable than jeans and a little more stylish than a pair of sweats. Try them out if you want to feel a little more put together and embrace a more sophisticated look! They truly elevate any outfit, including athleisure. Here’s a link to an article by Byrdie that offers more tips on how to style a chic pair of trousers.

Jewelry

Making your closet feel more “grown-up” doesn’t just have to do with your clothes! Accessories are the key to elevating your style, whether that be a fun pair of earrings or a statement bracelet. Whether you’re a gold, silver, or rose-gold girl, there are plenty of options for you. Some recent earring trends I love are big, chunky hoop earrings and earcuffs. They truly are such a statement, and I’d argue they make any outfit more chic, including a cute sweat set!

loafers/elevated sneakers

Although a pair of white Reeboks or Nike Air Force 1s are a closet staple for casual fits, a loafer or elevated canvas sneaker will transform your classic “jeans and t-shirt” look. Loafers are an extremely versatile shoe; they can worn with dresses, skirts, pants, shorts… you name it! They’re also perfect for a more professional setting, making them the ideal shoe to have for post-graduation jobs or summer internships.

An elevated sneaker can dress up athleisure, jeans, and casual trousers! Stores like DSW have a large selection of your favorite brands. Especially if you’re transitioning your closet while you’re still in college, it’s important to be shopping on a budget! Here’s the perfect outfit to try with a more sophisticated sneaker:

Clothes are one of the best ways to express yourself and your personal flair, and periods of transition are the perfect opportunities to reinvent your style and try something new. If you’re feeling nervous about making your mark on the world post-graduation, there’s nothing like a mall trip to celebrate your coming of age. Growing up is a gift, so good luck and happy shopping!

Emily Ranieri

Rutgers '24

Emily is a senior majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. She loves reading, movies, art, and music.