This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

It is very easy to create New Year’s resolutions, succumb to old habits, and feel anxious of another year passing without having completed any goals. I want to start this article off by saying what you have done today is enough. You are enough. Set intentions and manifest your goals, but promise me you will not beat yourself up over forgetting to complete a goal, acting in ways you didn’t want to, or enjoying yourself with a dessert every once in a while. I know we all want to become better versions of ourselves, but progress takes patience and real change will not happen overnight.

Every year we are surrounded by photos and societal norms of this image of perfection – that our lives must be perfect and we must face no struggles. The truth of the matter is that we all face internal battles and struggle with the unattainable image of perfection. So this year, create and set intentions of not manifesting an impossible perfect life, but intentions of expressing gratitude, finding purpose and loving fully. This year I chose resolutions dedicated to intention setting, feeling peaceful, becoming more open-minded, and working everyday to become the person I am meant to be, for me. This year, like every year, can be a tremendous learning experience. Here are some of my intentions and suggestions: 

Learning how to breathe more when you feel anxious. Taking slow and deep breaths to know it will guide you out of any uncomfortable situation. 

Learning that the past is your past to learn from and help you. 

Learning that those who want to be in your presence will be, don’t stress over those who don’t. 

Learning how to absorb guidance from those you admire. You are a student of life. 

Learning how to exercise more, eat better, and drink more water. 

Learning how to prioritize and protect your mental health at all costs. 

Learning how to make time to rise early, meditate and become self-aware. 

Learning how to surround yourself with those who make you feel happy, secure and fulfilled. 

Learning how to do more volunteer work. It makes a difference in people’s lives.

Learning how to become more open-minded. Fill your heart with kindness and compassion. There is no use for anger, we could all use better days.

Learning how to be kinder to your mind.

Learning how not to judge anyone – there is already too much judgment in this world.

Learning how to be open to both love and forgiveness. 

Learning how to keep your head up, even at your lowest moments. There is beauty in resilience. 

Learning there is no need for external validation when you love yourself. 

Learning how to be comfortable alone. 

Learning how to cut out noise from those who discourage you or bring you down. 

Learning how to put technology away and look at what is right in front of you. 

Learning how to speak kindly and intelligently among all matters. 

Learning how to stick up for those who cannot speak. 

Learning how to prioritize time for sleep and deep restoration. 

Learning how to overcome fear and insecurity. Doing the things that scare you the most promotes tremendous growth. 

Learning how to take the time to listen to others. 

Learning how to become more patient. 

Learning how to let go of ill feelings. Holding on to them will only hurt you. 

Learning how to look for the lessons hiding within difficult or painful situations. 

Learning how not to follow society’s unattainable beauty standards. You are beautiful as is. There is beauty in simplicity. 

Learning how to take control over your life, thoughts, purpose, well-being, and surroundings. 

Learning how to discover ambition. 

Learning that you are strong. 

Learning that everything can be figured out. 

Learning how to shine your own, individual light to the rest of the world. 

Any habit or mentality can become a reality through perseverance, discipline and repetition. I find that I am more likely to make change when I am doing it out of self-love and love for those around me. I know everyone wants to be healthy and kind individuals who have the opportunity to give back in any way you see fit. I am proud of all you have done and will do from here on out. Remember your intentions and actively pursue positive change, but also understand life is not meant to be serious and stressful. It is okay to smile and laugh and dance in the rain. It is okay to make mistakes. Do not be discouraged by what you have not done, but be inspired by what there is left to do. In the wonderful words of F. Scott Fitzgerald, whom I could not have worded any better: 

“For what it’s worth… it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you’ve never felt before. I hope you meet people who have a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start over again.” -F. Scott Fitzgerald

It is never too late to become the person you want to be. You are enough and what you done today is enough. Here is to another beautiful year of words yet to be written. 

With all my love, 

J

Jessica is a senior double majoring in Journalism & Media Studies and Political Science. She is a proud Latina of Cuban and Peruvian descent with passions for feminist issues, politics, mental health, traveling, lifestyle, & health and wellness. She loves to volunteer in her free time and do anything to improve the lives and well-being of the people around her.
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.