10 Thoughts You Have While Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

It’s a love/hate relationship at the gym. Post-workout feels incredible, but actually getting out of bed to go to the gym can be a total drag. Here are 10 thoughts you may also have while working out:

1. “Wow! There’s so many people here today. Ugh, that means I’m going to have to keep an eye out for the machine/equipment I need.”

I usually go to the gym early in the morning (7am) to avoid the giant crowd that comes in later during the day. However, there are certain days when I can’t make it early in the morning and my first thought when entering the gym is realizing the crowd of people present. During those days, I realize I have to extremely vigilant of the equipment I want.

2. “I  should just stop and protest these societal norms of being skinny”

For many people the fear of getting fat is what motivates them to go to the gym. However, when you’re burning 20 calories/min on the elliptical the societal norms of being skinny really get annoying. But at the end of the day, you know that you are doing this for yourself and no body else.

3. “Umm how do I even use this machine?”

You just saw this giant frat boy do some monkey-ape type exercise on that machine. Meanwhile, you’re just standing there looking very perplexed and lost. However, remember that going to the gym can be intimidating for anyone. If you’re a beginner, don’t be afraid to ask the fitness assistant available for help, (it’s their job after all!).

4. “It’s only been ten minutes?? I feel like I’ve been here for an eternity.”

Why does time go by so slowly when you’re doing cardio? They say time flies when you’re having fun. I guess cardio just isn’t fun (haha) but it is definitely necessary!

5. “I hate you for dragging me here.”

We all have that one friend who drags us to the gym. They say “it’ll be fun”. While your legs feel like they’re going to pass out from excruciating lunges, and your arms are about to fall from bench presses, it sure is not fun. But afterwards, it’s definitely fun and having a gym buddy is generally nicer than going alone.

6. “Everyone looks so concentrated.”

If you’ve ever been to the gym, you might have noticed that people rarely engage in conversation at the gym. People at the gym are too concentrated and in their own zone to notice other people. Everyone is focused on motivating themselves, and striving to achieve their goals. It’s almost funny how concentrated everyone looks at the gym (blame the pre-workout!)

7. “This is actually more productive than rolling around in bed for two hours playing on my phone.”

The biggest excuse people have not working out is “I don’t have time.” But you may spend two hours just lounging around procrastinating on homework or studying. Those two hours could have been spend in a productive manner at the gym. Going to the gym is about finding a balance and a routine.

8. “WATER!!!WATER!! PLEASE GIVE ME WATER!”

When you’re at the gym, be sure to stay hydrated! I sometimes go through two or three bottles of water while working out. You’re sweating and losing lots of electrolytes. It is very important to replenish yourself.

9. “I’m so HUNGRY!!”

Post-workout hunger is REAL! After burning off so many calories, it’s no surprise that you leave the gym starving.

10. “That was AMAZING! I need to go to back again tomorrow!”

The post-workout feeling is amazing. You feel so proud of yourself for being healthy and accomplish goals that seemed impossible. Compared to your first day at the gym to now, you have definitely improved. It feels great to look and feel healthier. Trust me, people are definitely noticing the results too!

Hannah Javed

Rutgers '19

Senior Editor at Her Campus Rutgers with a love for salads, pizza and bright lights.