10 Incredibly Creative, Insanely Easy Pumpkin Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This past weekend, my roommates and I tried something that all (but one) have done before… carve a pumpkin! It’s a simple and fun activity to do with your friends, housemates, and family. And this year, with Halloween festivities being limited due to the pandemic, pumpkin carving and designing can be a great way to get into and show off your holiday spirit without leaving the house! A jack-o-lantern does not have to consist of triangle eyes and a toothy grin; you can spruce up your pumpkin into many creative designs. Pumpkin carving can be a form of art and a way to express yourself, whether it be by creating an elaborate floral design or by carving the face of your favorite cartoon character. And no, you do not have to be a master of carving skills to bring these ideas to life. Some of these pumpkin ideas do not even need a knife. So gather your gourds, your gear, and your guys and gals! Here are ten incredibly creative, insanely easy pumpkin carving ideas.

Mike Wazowski

Show off your love for all things Disney and Pixar by carving this cute Mike Wazowski face onto a pumpkin. All it takes to recreate this carving is cutting one small hole, one bigger hole, and a jagged mouth. Using leftover pumpkin scraps from the mouth and two toothpicks, you can also add on two monster ears.

Your Favorite Superhero

Everyone has their favorite superhero, and you can show off your fav by carving their logo or mask onto a pumpkin! Most superhero designs are made up of simple lines and shapes, which should make carving them out not be a hassle.

Use a Flower Stencil

If drawing free-hand sketches are not your style or seem too complicated, try using a stencil as a guide on your pumpkin! Simple floral or sun designs can make beautiful decor for your porch.

Sick Pumpkin

So you carved your pumpkin, but you have all those gooey seeds and pumpkin ‘guts’ leftover. Now what? Put those guts to use by making your pumpkin look like they had too many drinks on Halloween night.

Evil Smiley Cat/Cheshire Cat

Leaning  owards the more spooky-side of Halloween? This creepy cat will be sure to greet your neighbors.

Harry Potter-Themed

I love all things Harry Potter related, and seeing Hagrid’s pumpkin patch in Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) reminds me of Halloween. If you’re a super fan like me, show off your love by making a Harry Potter-themed pumpkin. The Harry Potter glasses and scar design can be easily made by carving two circles, a line, and a lightning bolt.

Use the Stem as a Nose

Turning your pumpkin around to its side makes for this creepy, but easy look!

Place a Little Pumpkin in a Big Pumpkin

One easy way to spruce up your average jack-o-lantern is to put a tiny pumpkin in its mouth, making it appear like a monster is eating someone!

Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head

Don’t wanna make a mess or just simply not in the mood to carve a pumpkin? That’s okay! You can still create funny faces on a pumpkin by using old Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head pieces to make for a silly pumpkin duo.

Paint a Pumpkin

If you’re looking for another substitute to not engrave your pumpkin, yet still want to be creative, painting is a great alternative! Painting pretty artworks and cute designs also make the pumpkins last longer and easier to see in the day time!

Kayla Soriano

Rutgers '21

Kayla Soriano is an Environmental Policy major at Rutgers. She is excited to join Her Campus and promote sustainable living.
Sam F

Rutgers '21