This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

In the middle of a Harry Potter craze, I learned that Emma Watson carried a journal throughout her life. Because Emma Watson was (and still is) my hero I decided that I wanted to journal too. Ever since I’ve been dutifully writing in my journal and collected about ten notebooks filled with my thoughts throughout the years. What started as an action to mimic a celebrity became an integral part of my lifestyle. Writing down my thoughts about a week, a day, or even revisiting an event is really therapeutic to me. I feel like my diary is like a friend that I can trust all of my secrets with. Here are a few more reasons why journaling is so important to me.

Journaling allows me to work through tough situations without judgment

I don’t like asking people for help. I’m always afraid that I’ll sound stupid/mean/needy. Venting through a journal is the best way to get my ideas out there without fear of judgment.

Journaling is a good time capsule

The cool thing about keeping a journal for so long is that I have ready access to my past selves. It’s so surreal to go through my old journals and see what my fourteen-year-old self sounded like.

Journaling helps me to relive moments

When something amazing happens I’m sure to write it down in tantalizing detail. Memories of prom nights, first dates, and other notable events are written down in a way that makes me feel like I’m reliving them. It’s so nice to know that I’ll always remember the exact circumstances surrounding an event.

Journaling reduces anxiety

There’s a really embarrassing moment where I’ll write about a problem, revisit it an hour later, and realize how melodramatic I was being. Sometimes seeing your fears on paper really creates perspective.

Journaling creates self-awareness

Writing down past mistakes and analyzing my own experiences makes me more aware of myself. I feel like journaling created an opportunity for me to really understand the nuances of my own personality.

Journaling is a habit that I believe is life long. I honestly can’t recommend it enough!

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.