This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for joy and cheer! For families to gather together, eat great food, and cherish the things that they are grateful for every day. But what does Thanksgiving mean to people? Let’s start from the beginning!

In 1621, Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is said to be the first Thanksgiving celebration in the colonies. Two centuries of feasts went by, but it wasn’t until 1863 that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November.

While many of us may not share the story of the Wampanoag with our families during Thanksgiving, there are many different traditions that people share on this day. I took the time to speak with some of the students and faculty on campus to hear what they think about the holiday!

Erin Griffiths, a senior with dual majors in Elementary Education and History, loves Thanksgiving! “We go to North Carolina or Maryland to spend time with family every year.”

Q: What are some traditions you have on this holiday?

Erin: “We usually watch football. And while we’re eating everyone will go around the table and say what they’re thankful for.”

Q: So what are you thankful for?

Erin: “I’m thankful for being alive. I’m blessed with great friends, family, and school.”

Sophomore Psychology major Sha’kia Madden, has similar traditions as Erin when it comes to holiday entertainment.

Q: What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

Sha’kia: “Every year my siblings and I watch the local football game at home between rivals Neptune and Asberry.”

Q: What are you thankful for this year?

Sha’kia: “To be alive.”

Simply put, but so true. Students aren’t the only ones who enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday. Faculty at Rowan University also likes to go home and enjoy it. I sat with Dr. Penny Barnes, Associate Dean of Academic Enrichment, and asked her about her holiday.

Dr. Barnes: “Every year I go with my kids to my family’s house in Willingboro. It’s also my birthday weekend so we cut cake and eat, along with playing board games together.

Q: What are you thankful for?

Dr. Barnes: “Definitely for my health and the health and happiness of my family and friends. That’s really the most important thing. Aside from that I feel like with everything going on in the world, there’s really so much to be thankful for, but it’s easy to complain about the things we don’t have. It’s important to reflect on things that are taken for granted like having a car or lights on in the house. Even when it’s not good, always know that somebody has it worse.”

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, many of us are excited for the food, but for sharing moments that last forever with family as well. Just as Dr. Barnes said, there is so much to be thankful for, and it can be easily taken for granted.

So! It’s time that we all make sure we stuff our faces with turkey, stand in the bleachers to cheer on our favorite team, and give thanks for all of our blessings. That is truly what Thanksgiving is about.

Victoria is in her Sophomore year at Rowan University and is currently a Communication Studies major with an Interpersonal concentration. She's been involved on campus with things such as the Club Softball team, the Harley Flack Mentoring program, and is currently working for the Dean of Students. She has hopes to take her experience with small group interaction and get involved with programs that assist high school students transition into college students.