Career > Work

What I Learned About Working as the Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Recently, I had the opportunity to work as the media for an event in Philly that benefitted a charity for a Philadelphia athlete. Having had no professional media experience before, I was nervous to make a good first impression. I read up on all kinds of journalism etiquette and made sure to do whatever I needed to do to be a great media personnel. 

What I realized is that it typically depends on the event where most of the etiquette and such applies. For a smaller scale event, you don’t need flashy, expensive equipment, unless you want to use it.

If you’re like me and want to work in the media industry one day, take some of these things that I learned to help yourself out and save yourself the anxiety that I had.

1. It doesn’t matter if you have an iPhone for pictures, as long as it’s not in the shot of the professional cameras.

When doing research about proper journalism etiquette, the number one thing I read was that you need a professional camera, and an iPhone is not going to cut it.

That might be true, but it really depends on the event. 

For the event I covered, iPhones were okay. No one said anything or gave me dirty looks. I actually had a camera with me, but the quality was so bad that having an iPhone would be a lot better.

You can use your iPhone, but make sure your phone is not in the way of the other cameras and shots. That’s where it becomes an issue.

1. Know what you’re doing before you get there.

Prepare. Prepare. Prepare. Especially if you are not familiar with the assignment you’re given. Do your background research about your assignment far beforehand so you don’t look lost. Also, the more prepared you are, the less nervous you will be.

Are you interviewing someone? Have 1-3 questions ready. Taking photos? Make sure all of your equipment is charged and ready to go. Know where you are going, if there is nearby parking, if you need money for parking and gas. There’s a lot you need to do beforehand, and when you take the time to prepare, the only thing you need to worry about the day of your assignment is to execute.

Nowadays, events are advertised on social media, so you can find a lot of information there. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the media coordinators or the PR team if you have questions. Most of the time, they will give you a brief list of information you will need for the event.

1. Be cool. You’re fine.

You’re going to most likely be talking to some important people, whether celebrities, athletes, or just the hosts of the event. Be cool. Don’t fangirl, remain professional.

Take a deep breath before you talk to whoever you need to talk to. Know what you’re going to ask and tell them. Most importantly, bring the energy. If they’re excited and happy, match their level. If they’re nervous, try to get them to open up and be talkative.

1. Remember: You ARE the media, you can be in the front of the action.

If you put on that lanyard that says “media” on it, you have every right to be in front of the action to take pictures and videos. Do not be worried you’re going to block someone else, you are there for a job. Be respectful, but be assertive. Oftentimes, the people around you who are not part of the media won’t even mind.

1. Network, network, network!

Yes you’re there to do a job, but you’re also there to better your craft and hone your skills. Networking with other media and notable attendees is a GREAT way to build relationships in the field you want to work in.

Again, be cool. Take deep breaths, and be yourself (professionally) so you make a good first impression. If there’s someone there in the business you’re trying to get into, ask for advice. Ask for tips. Tell them what you’re currently doing and aspire to do.

1. Work first, fun second.

Depending on the event you’re at, if you get your pictures and interviews done, then you can have fun! This only applies depending on the event, but oftentimes, as long as you got what you need and you had a great attitude, why not join others and have a great time for you as well! You’re either at the event for free or are being paid to be there, make the most of it.

Read the room. Are other media members having fun? Are they having fun but still working? Emulate that energy. You can have fun, but stay classy and professional.

Working as a media member is an enriching experience especially while you’re still in college. It’s impressive and a great way to build connections with those in the business. If you’re a communications student looking to go into reporting, photography, etc., try to find ways to work in media in local community events, then move up from there.

she/her - Audacy sports writer - podcaster - love writing about everything