This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

TRX Bands: A Fun Way to Make Your Workout More Challenging!

TRX bands are a suspension training tool at the Rec Center and they can help you train almost every single muscle group. They use your bodyweight to work your muscles and are great as a warm up or as one of your main exercises. Have fun and be Safe!

Note: The closer you stand to the wall, the harder the exercise will be and the further you stand from the wall, the easier the exercise will be. Adjust your angle and the bands accordingly. Also, any questions about form can be answered in more detail by a Rec Center staff member.

Bicep Curls

Starting position: Stand facing the wall with arms extended and the bands in your hands. Your forearms should be facing upwards.

Ending position: Curl your hands towards your face. You should end with your fists next to your face.

Tricep Extension

Starting position: Your back should be facing the wall and your arms should be bent at the elbows with the bands in your hands.

Ending position: Extend your arms in front of you until they are completely straight.  Note: Keep your arms close to your head for this exercise.

Chest

Starting position: Your back should be facing the wall and your arms should be extended downwards in front of your body.

Ending position: Ease yourself downwards towards the floor and stop when your elbows are at a ninety degree angle.

Back Row

Starting position: You should be facing the wall and your arms should be extended upwards in front of you. Your hands should be on the sides of the handles.

Ending position: Bring your entire body towards the ceiling and bring your arms and hands straight back. Note: Keep your arms close to your sides for this exercise.

Shoulders (posterior deltoid row)

Starting position: You should be facing the wall and your arms should be extended upwards in front of you and your hands are at the top of the handle.

Ending position: Similar to the back row, you will bring your body towards the ceiling, but this one differs. As you are bringing your body upwards, make sure the bands are shoulder level as your bring your arms outwards and not down.

Lunges

Starting position: Tuck one TRX band inside the handle of the other. Place one foot in the handle of the band and one foot in front of you.

Ending position:  Lower your body into the lunge position and stop once your leg is at a ninety degree angle. Repeat on the other side.

Squat

Starting position: Face the wall with bands somewhat slacked.

Ending position: Lower your body into a squatting position with arms overhead. The lower the better when it comes to squats! **For an extra calorie burn, jump up after your squat.

Pistol Squat:

Starting position: Stand facing the wall with hands on the sides of the handles. Extend one leg forward and put your weight on the opposite leg.

Ending position: Lower your entire body towards the floor with hands extended towards the ceiling. Once again, the lower you can get to the floor the better!

Hello! My name is Laurie Toich and I am a senior at Rowan University. I am a Writing Arts major with specializations in Creative Writing and Technical/Professional Writing. In my spare time I like spending time with my friends, working out, and writing. In the future I hope to be a published novelist and poet. I believe that if you follow your passion it will never lead you astray!