Sammi Says: More Than Friends?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Dear Sammi,

I’ve been talking to this guy for a while now, about 5 months, and we act like we are a couple. We’re committed, we talk every day and hang out as much as we can, and we have a great time together. I like him and think it’s time for a title; I’m just not sure why he hasn’t asked me out yet. It’s not that it bothers me or anything, I just feel like we basically are together as it is.

I don’t know if he is looking for a relationship or not, but I’m afraid I’m already falling for him. I just don’t want to scare him away. What should I do?

Just a Friend

Dear Just a Friend,

Well, it sure seems you are a lot more than “just a friend.” By the sound of it, I’d assume you guys are dating as it is. You both are committed, you talk and see each other often, and you both obviously have feelings for each other. Since that’s the case, there is no harm in just asking what the two of you are.

Five months is a pretty long time, and it is completely understandable that you’d want to know where you stand with him. You aren’t asking for a marriage proposal…So, if he acts strange or gets frustrated at the question, I say it’s time to step back and think if it’s really worth sticking around. You said yourself you’re falling for him, so be sure to clarify with him and handle the situation accordingly. If you feel that his response doesn’t satisfy, do not settle for whatever it is he’s giving you. Make yourself happy first. If he really cares for you, he won’t let you slip away from him.

Good luck and speak your mind!

Sammi

I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.