This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I have been sneaking around the reusable products realm and sustainable lifestyle for a couple of years now. Just slowly dipping my toe into the deep water, testing it out. I have a difficult time fully emerging myself into a new trend or lifestyle because I am cautious of the monetary commitments I would have to make, so I typically do my research and take some time to explore the logistics of these exciting, new avenues. And, as I have said, the sustainable lifestyle is one of those. I first stumbled across Lauren Singer, the founder of the company Package Free, as well as the woman who is known for filling five years of trash into one mason jar, pretty impressive. My gradual transition into obtaining reusable products has been a lot easier than expected as I found there are growing resources for those wanting to adopt this lifestyle. Here’s a list of the reusable products I try to use daily (I emphasize “try” to point out that there is no perfect way to adopt this lifestyle, as long as you try your best, you are successful).

Bamboo Toothbrush

A more sustainable alternative to a plastic toothbrush!

Metal tea tin

With this product I am no longer throwing out paper and plastic tea containers.

Wire mesh tea infuser

Say no to single-use teabags with microplastics!

Metal straws

Plastic straws seem to be everywhere, but you can also carry these anywhere

Reusable water bottles

This is one of the easiest switches out there! Totally worth it!

Reusable lunch/snack containers

These containers are easy to clean and are a great gift

Cloth bags

This types of bags are a lot cuter than plastic ones

Source:

“How I Fit 5 Years of My Trash in This Jar” 

https://packagefreeshop.com/  Founder: Lauren Singer

Her Youtube channel and blog go by the same name, “Trash is for Tossers”, and I highly recommend checking out the products and tips she has to offer!

Julianna is a writer, artist, and mental health advocate. She graduated from Rowan University in 2020 with a BA in English and a minor in Creative Writing. She was the Fall 2o2o Media Editor for Glassworks Magazine, a publication of Rowan University's Master of Arts in Writing. In her free time, she enjoys baking desserts for her family, adding to her sticker collection, and listening to spooky stories.
Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.