This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

When I was sixteen, my parents decided to let me go on a trip to Italy through my school. The only catch was that I had to get a job in order to pay for my spending money for the trip. Like most sixteen-year-olds, I was confused and nervous to enter the work force with absolutely no experience–seriously, not even babysitting. I had nothing. After getting rejected from at least half a dozen places, I finally landed on a fast food job. I began working that summer, and for the next year raised as much money as I could for the Italy trip. After I got back, I figured I’d keep the job. Why not? I loved the feeling of working and getting my own money to spend however I pleased. 

There were a lot of things that I loved about my job: the flexible hours, the increased pay the longer I worked there, the friends I had made, and the fast-paced nature of the job. They had truly been good to me, but after three years there were many things I found upsetting as well. I really didn’t like coming home with a layer of grease over my body, and some issues I had with my management made me feel like my hard work was not appreciated. After three years, I found myself dreading going there every day, and beginning to think that there might be a better fit for me somewhere else. I eventually decided, after beginning a job hunt and finding many prospective places, to quit my job. Here, I’m going to outline for you the FAQ’s on how, when, and why you should quit your current job.

The first and most important step is to 100% commit to the fact that you want to quit. Are you quitting for any real reasons? Is there some solution to the problems you might be having? Meeting with a superior, such as a manager or boss, may help resolve some of the issues you may be having. If you do conclude that you are completely ready to leave, the next step is to make sure that you have something to go to. Unless it is a situation you must get out of immediately, you should always make sure you have a job lined up. You don’t want to go weeks or even months without pay, especially if you have bills to pay.

Once you have that next job lined up, probably the most important step putting in your two weeks’ notice. The format for this type of letter can easily be found online, but always make sure to add a personal touch to it. No matter the circumstances for which you are leaving your job, always leave respectfully. You never know when you might need them as a reference for the future, or if for whatever reason you might need that job back, and you don’t want their last impression of you to be negative. Leaving on a good note will show your coworkers that you are mature and gracious, and they will think twice before ever speaking ill of you. Make sure that you actually do hand in your two weeks’ notice two weeks in advance, so they have the proper time to find a replacement.

Lastly, make sure your last two weeks there, you are still showing your great work ethic and being kind to your coworkers. Even though nobody ever likes everyone they work with, there will always be those people it’s hard to say goodbye to. Even after you leave your job, make sure to stay close with those coworkers, and try not to talk trash on your old job. It might get back to them, and it also makes you look immature. Hopefully your next job is a better fit for you, as mine was, but you still can hold your memories of your old job fondly.

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu