An Open Letter To Anyone Who Asks Me What I’m Thinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I cannot answer you in a simple statement or even a few. I’m thinking about a million things every single second of the day. In-depth. If you ask me what I’m thinking about the sky, I could say that I’m thinking about how the clouds look like little cotton balls, or that the sky is the perfect shade of blue and reminds me of his eyes. I could say that I’m thinking about how the sky is endless, and someone, somewhere is looking at the sky, too.

If you asked me what I’m thinking right this moment, I’d say I’m thinking about the way my fingers are tapping each letter on the keyboard with a steady rhythm, creating the “song of the typist.” I’d say I’m thinking about how amazing it is that there are only 26 letters in the alphabet, yet, there are endless combinations of them that all mean something different. 

I’d say that I’m thinking about how every person has a different story. Maybe the boy who sits across from me in class came from a wealthy home with a butler and a nanny. Maybe he came from a home where he was living day to day just trying to survive. Maybe the girl who I walk past in the hall likes to read or write. Maybe she likes to listen to rock music or ride dirt bikes. There are endless possibilities. I just wonder…it’s what I do. Anytime I meet someone, I wonder what his or her story is.

You see, the thing is, you probably don’t want to ask me what I’m thinking unless you have the time or you want to see the world in a different light. What can I say? I’m a writer. My mind imagines the impossible. It creates problems and proposes solutions. It picks out the smallest details, like colors and shapes, and relates them to abstract ideas. The mind of a writer is a world in itself. 

So, if you really want to see the world, ask a writer what she’s thinking.

Sincerely,

A Girl in Reverie

I am a full-time student at Rowan University majoring in both Early Childhood Education and Literary Studies, with a minor in Writing Arts. I absolutely love writing poetry and hope to get some of mine published one day. I LOVE to read, particularly YA fiction. On my free time I like to watch Netflix, or browse Barnes and Noble for my next read, with a caramel macchiato in hand.
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.