Jill Hochuli- President of Colleges Against Cancer/ Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Are you registered for Relay for Life at Rowan on April 17? It’s the largest fundraiser on campus—last year close to $42,000 were raised. This year’s theme is carnival so there will be a lot of fun games and activities all night long. The event runs from 6 p.m. on Fri. April 17- 6 a.m. on Sat. April 18. Students can come and go as they please but are encouraged to stay as long as they can because there will be events the entire time.  Sign up for the event at http://www.relayforlife.org/rowanuniversitynj. Read our interview with Jill Hochuli, president of Colleges Against Cancer/ Relay for Life at Rowan. 

What is Relay for Life? 

“Relay For Life is a 12-hour event to raise money and awareness for cancer research. It promotes the idea that “cancer never sleeps, so neither do we.” It is so much more than just a walk, though the idea is to have one member from your team on the track at all times. There will be a DJ, various sporting tournaments, games, activities, food, and fun!”

Can you describe the planning that goes into preparing an event this large? 

“We start planning Relay For Life in the summer, before school even starts. We have to do everything from booking the event space, making sure public safety is on board with the event, and making sure we are not breaking any university rules along the way. Our planning committee meetings start in September, and are on Monday nights at 9:15 in Robinson Hall. We have close to 50 members on the committee, and we definitely need every single set of hands we can, since our event averages more than 1,000 participants each year.” 

What are you most excited about for this year’s event? 

“Every year, I am just excited to honor, remember, and fight back for all those who have been affected by cancer, whether it is personally, or a friend of family member was affected. This year will be especially exciting since it is my last of my four years on the committee at Rowan. I am looking forward to seeing the planning of the committee come together, all of our hard work pay off, and all the fun that everyone is going to have! It is also a huge source of team bonding for us. You really get to know the people that you are spending hours with, especially when you are dancing with them at 3:00 A.M! “

What should students do to prepare for this event from now until April 17?

“A huge part of Relay For Life is obviously the fundraising. Last year, we raised close to $42,000 and I would love to see us improve on that number for this year. So, everyone should start fundraising as much as they can! No amount is too small! Also, everyone should like our page on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and be on the lookout for emails from us! We will have some smaller events leading up to Relay For Life. We will be sponsoring a SUP movie night on March 25 , holding our last registration event, Paint the Campus Purple, on March 31, and hosting two captain’s meetings as the event gets a little bit closer! We would love to get to know our participants prior to the event in April! If you want more information, please feel free to email me at: hochul49@students.rowan.edu or stop by one of our meetings on Monday nights at 9:15 in Robinson Hall room 121!”