Kellyn Simpkin-Girl In Front Of Eiffel Tower France Hat Paris
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

Emily in Paris is Unwatchable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I adore watching quirky female-centered TV shows. Ugly Betty, Jane the Virgin, and Sex and the City are some of my favorite shows centered around women finding their way in the world. I’m always on the lookout for my next favorite binge. When I saw Emily in Paris on my Netflix feed I was ecstatic. A twenty-something woman finding herself and launching her career in Paris? Sign me up! However, after watching a few episodes of the Netflix series I found myself turning off the Tv. I realized that Emily in Paris is absolutely unwatchable thanks to the show’s titular character.  Here’s why:

Emily doesn’t even try to adapt to French Culture

I understand that Emily’s job is to bring the American perspective to her marketing firm. But she feels the need to bring her American perspective to every single situation without trying to adapt to her surroundings. She’s the personification of why other countries dislike American tourists.

She refuses to learn French

I know that that this ties into Emily’s inability to adapt to French culture but I’d be amiss if I don’t mention that Emily doesn’t learn a lick of French by the end of the show. She goes to a French class twice and is never shown to go again. Instead, she walks around expecting people to speak English…in France.

Emily constantly shames people on social media.

If Emily doesn’t like the way someone is doing something she’ll take a picture of them and virtually shame them. Most of the time these people are minding their own business and are unaware that they are being photographed.  As someone who doesn’t like pictures, I’d be furious that an entitled woman not only took my picture without my consent but also posted it to a popular Instagram.

Emily is a woman baby.

I adore Lily Collins. Yet even she couldn’t make me adore this character. There’s a scene in the show where Emily orders a steak and it’s not cooked enough for her. However, it’s made apparent that in France the cook of the steak is well done. Instead of trying to explain that she’d want the steak cooked a little longer, she makes a Karen worthy scene until the chef has to come out. I couldn’t help but cringe at Emily’s entitlement.

Emily calls herself a feminist but has a narrow-minded view.

She’s one of those girls who thinks that she knows better than other women. Emily considers herself a feminist but while discussing her views on gender with her boss Emily refuses to even listen. She assumes that her version of feminism is the only acceptable version. Which is totally counterproductive to the ideals of feminist.

Emily in Paris is a show that has an amazing premise and a lot of potential. I honestly believe that the show could have gone somewhere if the main character Emily wasn’t in it. As Emily would say the show is tres tragic.

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.