This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Hands are so important. They’re the first impression of a handshake, the spotlight when we talk with our hands, and the focus when we point to something. Doesn’t that scare you? They’re actually so important. It took me twenty years to realize that. The journey to healthy nails has never been easy for me. In fact, it’s not easy for many people. It’s easy to learn the habit of biting nails and picking cuticles when we’re anxious or bored. Neither bad tasting nail polish nor wearing fake nails helped. It took me twenty years to break the habit. It was not easy, but with some self-discipline and persistence, I learned how to make my nails look and feel healthier than ever. With these tricks, short and brittle nails will be a thing of the past.

My nails at 16 years old

My nails at 20 years old

1. Take biotin vitamins. Biotin is linked to improving the health of hair and nails. If your nails are brittle and always breaking, biotin will help them grow fast and stay strong. After taking these for just a week, my nails got noticeably longer, and thicker as well. Things that would chip the average nail wouldn’t even phase mine. My nails feel and look like fake nails thanks to these vitamins. If you’re scared to swallow pills, like me, I highly recommend these delicious gummies by Nature’s Bounty.

1. Treat yourself! A great way to keep yourself from breaking a habit is to motivate yourself. Great motivation would be to buy some pretty nail polishes! Even if that means spending a little more on some higher quality nail polishes, it will definitely be worth it! The best nail polishes are the ones that don’t smudge hours after painting them and don’t chip the next day. Vinylux and Pacifica nail polishes are meant to last 7 days without chipping. You can find them at any beauty supply stores. My all-time favorite nail polishes are KL Polish by Kathleen Lights. The colors are so beautiful and it is the best quality nail polish for the price.  

2. Keep them painted Ah, even more motivation. I noticed that when I let my nail polish chip, I was more inclined to pick the polish and bite it off. Using a long-lasting polish, base coat, and top coat your nails will stay painted and motivate you to keep them looking pretty!

3. Turn it into a hobby! Painting your nails doesn’t have to be a hassle! Turn on some music, watch a show, and enjoy your quality alone time you have while you paint. Buy a nail kit and learn to make designs on your nails! You can create salon quality nail art with the right tools. Red Carpet Nail’s manicure 5 piece kit from Ulta is super affordable, and has a tool for every design you could ever want!

4. Be patient. You know what they say; it takes 21 days to break a habit. If you struggle, don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s definitely not easy, but it’s important to be persistent. It may take a few tries until the habit is completely gone so cut yourself some slack. Reward yourself with some new fun nail polishes or top coat finishes. Positive reinforcement will help you keep your nails thriving!

Madison is an elementary education and literacy studies major at Rowan University. Besides writing for Hercampus and being a Hercampus Trendsetter, Madison is the president of the Eta Psi chapter of Kappa Delta Pi, vice president of Rowan's Circle K club, and an Admissions Ambassador. Her hobbies are reading, writing, painting, and drawing. Her favorite things to write about are dating, beauty, and literature.