5 Things Every Girl Should Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It has taken me a long time to (attempt to) perfect my girlish ways. I always lost things that I had or didn’t have things that I needed. Over the years I’ve compiled a short list of things that I think every girl ought to have!

1.      A Makeup Organizer

This may sound like the simplest thing to some of you, but for me it took a while to realize just how important it is to have one of these! If you’re not one who has an elaborate beauty regiment, you could probably get away with having a simple cosmetic bag. But if you’re like me, and you take your makeup routine seriously, a hanging organizer like the one I got at Walmart is just the thing you need. There are five different pouches where you can keep your brushes away from your face pallets which stay away from your eye shadows which stay away from your eye liners. It’s also really helpful for those of you who are constantly making the haul to and from school frequently (I live on campus during the week and go back home every weekend for work; I live out of my suitcase).

2.      EOS Lip balm

I’m sure you’ve seen people around with these egg-shaped wonders. I always get chapped lips in the winter (and the spring… and the summer…) but I could never hold on to a chap stick! I think this is mostly due to the fact that most chap sticks I’ve tried in the past never really did much to solve the issue. These new lip balms are great! They’re too big to get lost easily and they’re not overly greasy like other chap sticks. Plus, they smell and taste fantastic!

3.      Hand sanitizer

This is kind of a trend nowadays anyway so I’m sure most people have already committed to this must-have, but I can’t stress enough just how important it is to have one of these (if not five) especially when you go to college. Too often do you hear about the newest illness to plague the university. It’s always good to have this on hand for those times in class where you feel like you’re the only one to survive this far!

4.      Pocket tissues

This may sound like a gramma thing to have, but I’m telling you it’s worth it to have a pack of these available at all times. In the same way hand sanitizer is important when you’re healthy, pocket tissues are important when you’re just not feeling that great (but still well enough to go to class). Even when you’re healthy though, these tissues serve a purpose. Weather you’ve just missed your mouth when sipping your water (happened to me) or when you’re fixing up your eyeliner mid-day (also happens to me), these tissues are a great thing to have when you’re out and about.

5.       Pocket mirror

Again, this is a no-brainer. But for the majority of my life I went around without one of these. You can only use your camera phone for so long before you realize it just doesn’t do the same trick that polished silver does. It’s good to have one of these on hand for those embarrassing moments when you’ve got something stuck in between your teeth; or for when you need to reapply your lipstick (mascara, eyeliner, whatever) throughout the day!

Carly is a Writing Arts major at Rowan University with a concentration in New Media and Creative Writing. She aspires to complete her masters at Rowan and to become an editor after completing college. When she isn't writing for HerCampus or doing schoolwork, she can be found performing slam poetry at various venues in the Philadelphia region. Follow her on twitter at @carlyfiona15 or email her at szaboc33@students.rowan.edu