Five Halloween Movies You Haven’t Watched, That You Should (at your own risk)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

Hands down one of the best black and white horror films to ever exist (sorry Dracula and the 

Bride of Frankenstein, but it is really, really good). Ana Lily Amirpour (director and writer) and 

Sheila Vand (the girl) kill it, pun intended. Netflix and chill with your girlfriends this week for a 

Halloween sleepover. Nothing screams girl power like a feminist vampire who meets a man 

willing to demonstrate that they’re not all the same. Don’t forget to pour the red wine, and 

wear your black lipstick. 

As Above, So Below (2014)

Don’t watch this alone or in a basement. John Erick Dowdle (director and writer) and Pertida 

Weeks (Scarlett) venture through the Catacombs of Paris, bringing you along. This terrifying film 

leads you places you never dared to go before, hell included. Be careful, they say that once you 

go in, you might never find your way out. 

Atrocious (2010)

Fernando Barreda Luna’s short film (75 minutes) follows Christian and July as they investigate 

the rural legend of Melinda, a little girl who haunts a labyrinth close to their vacation house. 

The footage the siblings recorded was found, proving skeptics of the legend wrong. 

Getting sleep after watching this is unlikely, but so is finding your way out of the labyrinth.  (You 

have been warned!)

The Rite (2011)

Perfect for the Halloween season, this eerie film explores demon processions and the act of 

dying through the eyes of Michael Kovak, a seminary student surrounded by death. Inspired by 

Father Gary Thomas, America’s top exorcist, this film will restore any doubt you might have had 

before of the devil. 

Halloween (1978)

Come on! You know you have to, it’s a classic. Don’t forget that Haddonfield is in Illinois and 

Michael Myers is always closer than you think.