Is Clayton the Most Problematic Bachelor Yet?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Before we dive into the semantics of the Bachelor Nation world and its amusing convulsion, I want to surprise you with a fun fact- I’m hardly a fan of the franchise and I’ve barely watched the show before now. But if you know me, you know I can’t resist conducting a ridiculously in-depth analysis of reality T.V- especially when we’re talking about someone like Clayton. 

As we near the “hometown” phase of the season and see which women have made it to the final episodes, Clayton has redeemed himself in some ways but continues to disappoint. I know the producers play an active role in creating “tea” between the women, and Clayton may be pushed by them to make certain mistakes for the sake of ratings. That being said, the way he has navigated certain situations this season is problematic (to say the least). 

If you haven’t heard of the “hot crazy matrix”, allow me to explain. First of all, the word ‘crazy’ is canceled, but some men embrace the belief that women who behave erratically or unpredictably at the cost of causing arguments, are intriguing if they are physically attractive.

It’s extremely disappointing to see the way that Clayton not only accepted, but encouraged the irrational and hurtful behavior of Shanae, simply because he thought she was hot. This would be harmless if it wasn’t broadcasted on national television, setting an example for young female viewers. His tolerance of her inappropriate actions sent a clear message to viewers that men are attracted to women like Shanae (and that is concerning, to put it lightly). 

By keeping Shenae on the show and giving her a rose, Clayton openly showed the audience that if a girl is a vicious bully and destructive in every sense, she will still get chosen if she straddles him on top of a bar (again, hot crazy matrix). 

So, the verdict is in- I think Clayton is the most problematic bachelor. We’ll see who he ends up with this season, and the drama he causes in the process as we approach the finale. 

Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.