mental health phone app?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mental health phone app?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media

How I’m Transforming My Media Consumption

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

I am going to make a controversial statement: Alix Earle is not relatable.

Do I think she is a cool gal? Yes, of course. But do I relate to her jet-setting off to Dubai as a college student? The one way I can remotely relate to her is because we are both from New Jersey.

Alix is drop-dead gorgeous, clearly very intelligent and successful, and she is only 22-years-old. As someone just two years younger than her, it would be really easy for me to hate TikTok’s new it-girl because she’s rich and famous and I’m not. But that’s not her fault, is it? 

Don’t hate her ‘cause you ain’t her. 

Social media (TikTok especially) has enforced these unrealistic ideals on women and young girls that, in turn, can have a really negative impact on their mental health. The time we spend scrolling on TikTok should be fun and enjoyable, but shouldn’t make us feel bad about the way that we dress, the makeup we do or don’t wear, or the size and shape of our boobs. Social media doesn’t have to be a negative experience. Being more selective of the media I choose to consume and following creators that empower and validate me has definitely been a positive change in my life. This doesn’t mean that I don’t still watch creators like Alix Earle, but I try to be more mindful when I do that her greatness does not equate to the absence of my own.

Here are two TikTok creators I follow who help me to keep my social media experience a positive one:

Eli Rallo- @thejarr

I love Eli’s “rules” series. She gives big sister advice for all kinds of situations. From how to navigate the talking stage or how to get out of a slump, to how to celebrate your half birthday and have your slay era. 

Bria Lemirande- @brialem

Bria has a love for all things Trader Joe’s. You may also know her for her Crunchy Curls obsession. She describes herself as “a girl who loves helping people feel more comfortable eating foods that make them happy”. I think a lot of times on social media, we see people promoting diet culture, so Bria’s perspective is very refreshing.

I’ve found that their content is not only entertaining, but insightful. It helps me make changes in my life for my own growth and betterment rather than to fit in with ever changing standards that could easily pose a threat to my self worth and esteem.

Samantha Cavallo is in her third year as a writer for Her Campus. She enjoys writing about anything and everything, though her pieces often focus on celebrities and pop culture or mental health and wellbeing. Sam is currently a junior at Rollins College in Winter Park, FL, majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology, and she is from Langhorne, Pennsylvania. After earning her Bachelor's degree, she plans to pursue a PhD in School Psychology. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in many organizations on campus that focus on supporting the campus community, such as the Wellness Ambassadors, where she works in Health Promotions to promote the Nine Dimensions of Wellness, and the Student Support Foundation, operating the campus food pantry and providing emergency grants to students, faculty, and staff in need. In her free time, Sam enjoys reading, going to Barre class, finding new things to do in and around the Orlando area, especially if there is rumored to be good food, and Facetiming her dog Dexter. She is a major fan of both Taylor Swift and Phoebe Bridgers (she even got it tattooed to prove it) and loves going to concerts, and of course dressing up for them.