Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

How I Went From Hating Sororities to Becoming a Sister for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

My hometown best friend’s eyes felt like daggers as she stared at me in awe.

“Sorry… you? YOU are joining a sorority?”

Yes, I was. And then I did. And it was the best decision I have ever made.

I heard every typical negative sorority comment in the weeks leading up to rush. I was vehemently criticized for “buying my friends” and “taking the easy way through college.” The most harrowing part of it all was that I would agree with these comments a year ago. Now in Greek life, I would stare at myself and wonder where I went wrong. What my younger self and my critics did not know, however, is the depth of belonging and friendship I would find within the panhellenic community.

Without a doubt, the most rewarding thing I decided to do was to rush fully and unapologetically myself. The day before we began the process, I was asked if I was nervous, and it stopped me in my tracks… because I wasn’t. I am usually anxiety-ridden, overanalyzing my simple interactions when someone holds a door for me or turning tomato red when I answer a question in class, even though the answer I gave was correct. Yet somehow, my comfort in knowing I was about to give my whole, authentic self to the process completely diminished my usual social anxiousness. I ended every conversation about rush leading up to it with a simple, “If a house doesn’t want me, that’s on them.” I believe this is what made my experience so genuine and gratifying.

My perspective about joining a sorority did not change overnight. A large part of my decision to rush was specifically the fact that my university is small, and the recruitment process was extremely laid back compared to what we’ve all seen on RushTok. Beyond this, my grudge against Greek Life was rooted in the stereotypes I believed about it, especially when I got to college, my FIRST college, and those stereotypes were affirmed.

My first school was very large but not Greek life heavy, as it was in the Northeast, and the culture varies heavily there versus the South. However, despite how minimal sororities were at this school, the horror stories I heard of discrimination and negative actions at the hands of those involved in them drove me away from them altogether. So, when I decided to transfer out of that school, a sorority was the last thing on my mind as I did my college search all over again.  

I ended up at a beautiful, small, liberal arts college in a suburb of Central Florida. I was aware we had sororities, but nothing beyond that. Slowly, I noticed that every person I met and took a liking to just so happened to be in Greek Life. Every. Single. One. Greek life does not completely dominate our campus, with less than 40% of the student body involved in a panhellenic organization. I didn’t believe it to be a coincidence that my chosen peers were all a part of this larger community. I looked into the organizations more to see what they stood for and was impressed by their inclusion and philanthropies. So, I decided to try it myself.

Rush went better than I could have ever expected it to. I put my true self out there and got incredible reactions from those that interviewed me during the process. People liked me for me, and it elated me to learn that I am wanted and interesting, just as I am. My past mirroring of personalities in conversations, silence even when I had a great joke to throw into the conversation… it was all unnecessary. I was hiding what people actually wanted, the real me.

I ended up in a chapter that truly felt like home. Through recruitment, I have been introduced to so many women that share my sense of humor, my passion for sustainability, and the struggles I’ve dealt with my entire life. I connected with so many people and created countless bonds that I have nurtured even after the rush process ended and will continue to grow.

My sorority makes me feel like I belong. It makes me feel like I have a greater purpose. It makes me feel loved, cared for, and supported. Beyond the girls, we serve an incredibly important purpose, and I am truly looking forward to the volunteer opportunities this organization will provide me with.

So, if you’re on the fence, or even if you’re completely against it, at least go to an information session. Maybe even try the process. Give yourself a chance to find a community that fits you and your needs. Then, if it’s not for you, learn from it. But try. It just might be the best thing you ever do.

Sophomore Pre-Law English major with a tendency for unusual life experiences and love for iced caramel macchiatos.