Gone with the Wind
Gone with the Wind
Selznick International Pictures
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Hinge or Tinder- Which App is For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Know What You’re Looking For 

There are many misconceptions about dipping your toes into the dating app world. Whether you’re looking for a casual hookup or casual dating, either one is possible with the new generation of dating apps. Just putting yourself out there is a big step. Taking that step can help boost your confidence, especially if you’re feeling particularly lonely or even just bored. Just create an account for a fun afternoon activity- you never know, you just might make a great connection!

When you’re entering the dating app world, you have to go into it knowing what you’re looking for. Various dating apps cater to different outcomes. The two most popular apps right now are Tinder and Hinge, and both are great to start with! If you’re not sure which one to try, here are the key differences between the two:

If You’re Looking for a Fling 

If you’re looking for a one-time fling or someone to have dinner with and call it a night, tinder would be your best bet. The app is laid out with only pictures and a short bio, making it more attuned to physical attractiveness than actually getting to know someone’s personality. So if you’re looking for a quick fling, Tinder is the best because there’s a great possibility you’ll never see that person again. It all depends on what you’re looking for.

If You’re Looking for a Boo 

Hinge is a much better way to meet someone to have a nice conversation with. Each profile is displayed in the style of an Instagram feed, each picture with a small prompt for swipers to fill in and help others get them to know them better. The motto for Hinge is “designed to be deleted.” They’re marketing their app to help you find a potential significant other, rather than just a hook up as Tinder tends to portray it. I find Hinge to be a much better way to find someone you have a true genuine connection with. But don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely still possible for that to happen on Tinder if you’re lucky. 

Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and join one of these dating apps. Even if you use it just to scroll through and chat with a few people, you’re still getting the experience of being open to new possibilities and practicing making conversation with different people.There are so many people who get lucky and find someone they have a true connection with through an app, especially in a time when it’s harder to get out and socialize. Don’t knock it ‘til you try it! 

Bellie Gonzalez is a junior at Rollins College, majoring in Communication Studies with a concentration in public relations and minoring in Creative Writing. No, her real name isn’t Bellie, it’s Isabella, but she prefers to stick with her unique nickname that resonates with her one of a kind personality. In her free time, you can find Bellie doing the things she loves to do most: dancing, writing, and being a girl boss.