This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.
  1. Be conscious of your coffee 

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a full-fledged caffeine addict, and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t need my coffee. We all know Starbucks is ridiculously priced, but that doesn’t stop us from treating ourselves to a nice cold foam drink here and there. Dunkin Donuts is a lot cheaper, but it’s still not a healthy habit for your wallet to indulge more than once per week.

The best possible option is hitting the BOGO Publix bin and buying coffee pods in bulk while they’re on sale. But when you need that refreshing iced coffee before rushing to class, the biggest life hack is 7/11 coffee. Before you judge, I want to let you in on Park Ave’s best kept secret. 7/11 has several taps of cold brew where you can self-serve and choose your flavor. It’s genuinely the strongest cold brew I’ve ever had- sometimes it’s even too much and gives me jitters. It’s $2.50 for a large Big Gulp cup of cold brew and you have to admit, you just can’t beat that price for coffee in this town. 

2. Stick to your list

When you go grocery shopping, it’s hard not to get distracted by Trader Joe’s flower display or selection of pumpkin spice treats. Remember when you were a kid and would accompany your parents to the store, trotting beside their cart bearing the all-important responsibility of holding the grocery list? It’s time to return to the old-fashioned paper slip method (or your notes app). When you go in with a loose mental grocery list, it’s easy to pick up extra snacks along the way or fall victim to Publix’s irresistible BOGO bins- remember, you don’t need six jars of salsa just because it’s on sale. With a paper list, you’ll stay on track as you cruise through the aisles. Not to mention, it takes a lot of the anxiety out of grocery shopping. 

3. Be honest with yourself 

If you’re anything like me, you’ll stock up on groceries and still end up grabbing dinner with a friend or having a treat-yo-self moment at Chipotle. That’s totally fine- but part of budgeting around your habits means being completely honest about how many days you might end up ordering Uber Eats while you cram for your exams or have an extra-busy day. If you know you’re likely to do that, just buy less groceries- especially things that expire (like that kale salad you plan on making but never will). 

Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.