Who Runs the World?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

If you could summarize a renaissance woman in one name, it would be Beyonce.  The superstar has been part of a record breaking girl band, embarked on a wildly successful solo career, tied down one of the leading men in music, and launched a clothing line, all while being adored by men and women everywhere. In a world of reality television and celebrity scandal, B has consistently promoted herself as a role model to women of all ages.
             One of the things that I personally love about Beyonce is her confidence, she literally gushes poise and self-assurance.  There is no better example of this than her most recent project, her pregnancy.  The most popular moms in the media are either teens or battling over custody rights, but when Jay Z and Kanye bro hugged after Beyonce rubbed her stomach at the VMA’s, all of America awed and started a countdown to the day the super child is born.  Not only has she embraced motherhood on the stage and on the red carpets, her newest music video shows her not only performing incredible dance moves, but doing so with heels and a baby bump.  Even though Beyonce and Jay-Z are one of the most low-key couples in Hollywood, they still manage to be one of the most beloved.  Although B sends out messages of self-confidence, she also expresses her devotion to her husband, her friendship with her sister and her respect for her mother, which are all more signs that prove she is going to be a great mom. 

Rather than unprepared and under qualified teenage moms showing young girls what pregnancy is like, Beyonce is representing a beautiful and strong woman who not only is pregnant, but isn’t giving up her day job.  Who says that a mom needs to stay at home? Not Beyonce.  No one assumed she would give up her career, after all she makes even more money than her mogul husband, but no one expected for Beyonce to pick it up a notch and work the baby bump on so many new projects.  Yes, there are a few flowy shirts and black slimming colors in her wardrobe now, but it’s not stopping her from running the world. Beyonce isn’t the only mom with another day job however; stars like Rachel Zoe, Angelina Jolie, and Jennifer Lopez are all great role models as well as great moms. So although reality stars, teen moms, and rehabbed celebrities are prominent in our culture, as long as there are artists out there like Beyonce, I will have faith in Hollywood.  And once that little super child comes into the world in a few months, I’ll have faith in them too.  

Meghan Liptak is a senior at the University of Rochester. She is majoring in Political Science and has been part of the Her Campus Rochester team as a contributing writer for over a year. Meghan looks forward to taking over as campus correspondent and copy editor of Her Campus Rochester this upcoming school year.
Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.