Scarier Than It Sounds: The 10-Step Skin Care Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

About a year or so ago, I was a bit naive when it came to the world of skincare. My routine amounted to using a simple cleanser in the morning and slapping on some moisturizer at night. I thought that was enough—I mean, I’m still young so there’s no need for anything super intense, right?

Wrong.

Enter Sokoglam. Sokoglam is a US based company dedicated to bringing East Asian (specifically Korean) skincare and beauty products to US consumers at a cheaper price. The founder of Sokoglam Charlotte Cho toutes something she refers to as the “10 Step Skincare Routine” to achieve effortlessly radiant and flawless skin without makeup. Her argument is that “if you’re going to spend 30 minutes putting on your face, you should spend the same amount of time and care when cleaning it off.”

Thanks to Sokoglam, I’ve become obsessed—I mean, interested in skin care and finding the best products at the cheapest prices. This handy article gives you a detailed run-through of the entire 10 step process, so check it out!

You don’t have to do all ten steps every day, and you don’t have to jump into this right off the bat. (It can be kind of overwhelming, I know.) Just ease into it one step at a time and before you know it you’ll be a skincare master!

Something else that I’d advise is to check out East Asian (Japanese, South Korean, and Chinese) brands when it comes to beauty products. You’ll often find that they have a wide array of innovative products of incredibly high quality for a fraction of the price you’d find in Western products of the same caliber. In fact, quite a few East Asian drugstore brands are much nicer than Western high end brands. And many Western brands come out with products that directly copy something an East Asian company has come up with (think BB Cream, Sheet Masks, the Cushion Compact).

It’s also much easier to find these products than you’d think! Here are a couple of places I frequent regularly:

1. Sokoglam and Peach&Lily

Both Sokoglam and Peach&Lily have quite an array of products to choose from that are really high quality and difficult to find elsewhere. Be warned that they do seem to mark up the prices a bit for their more common items (as I’ve searched and found the same product on those sites on Amazon or a different website for markedly less) but they carry certain brands that are really difficult to find elsewhere.

2. Amazon

Ah, Amazon. How I love you so. You can find quite a few products here for as much as they’d cost in East Asia itself or cheaper. (They even have a department dedicated to Korean Beauty!) One Amazon store to keep an eye out for is Yourishop, as their prices are cheaper than Amazon itself and they send free samples with any purchase.

3. Jolse

Jolse is my personal favorite one to frequent. For one, if you sign up they give you $3.00 in store credit right off the bat. They also offer free shipping on all orders and have frequent sales – on an almost weekly basis. Not to mention their array of products is actually better than Amazon’s and their prices are just as good.

Now that you know where to look, I strongly encourage all of you ladies to begin your journey into the world of skin care! I’ll definitely be posting more in depth articles on this subject soon, so keep an eye out for that!

Vanaja is currently attending the University of Rochester as an International Relations major and Music minor. In her spare time she enjoys singing and reading. Aside from making boys cry, her true loves are Adrien Brody, sleep, and lipstick.