Nathan Novosel ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

What activities are you involved in on campus?
I am involved with the Men’s Basketball team as you know, but I am also a part of the All-Campus Judicial Council, the College Democrats, the St. Sebastian Society, AKPsi Business Fraternity, the Alexander Hamilton Institute at Rochester, and the Varsity Student Athlete Advisory Committee. 

How do you balance all of your activities?
It is definitely a struggle sometimes to keep up with all of the demands of each group plus all of my school work, but I enjoy everything that I do so you make it work. Most of my teammates would agree that we are better academically during our season rather than during the off season. Basketball takes up so much of your time that you are forced to get all of your work finished early. Its a good motivator.  

What would you like to accomplish in your last year here at the University?
There are many things, but one of my main goals is to help the basketball team win a National Championship. We have all of the components to make a run. Now we just have to put in the work to make it happen.  

Congratulations on your Rhodes Scholar nomination! Can you tell us a little more about the scholarship?
The Rhodes Scholarship is a full scholarship to Oxford University in England for a master’s or Phd. degree. It is very competitive for only 32 Americans are chosen each year out of almost 3,000 nominations. 

What are your plans if you receive the scholarship? Other plans following college?
If I were fortunate enough to become a scholar, I would spend two years at Oxford to receive my Master’s in Comparative Social Policy. The competition is stiff, so one of my back up plans is Teach For America. I have advanced to the final interview stage and then if I am offered a position, I will have to decide whether or not I want to commit to it. Other than that I still want to attend Law School and continue to participate in politics. 

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.