Meet the infamous Daniel “Provo” Provenzano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

What specifically is your role on campus?
I am the athletic equipment manager, I feel like it is more than just a job of doing laundry.  You have kids who come in your life and I try to get to know the athletes and have a positive effect, in a sense, it is a little bit different then lets say doing your normal equipment manager thing. I also feel it is my role to know all the Greek letters on campus. 

How long ago did you start your job?
2006… summer 2006.  I was lucky enough, I had gone to my 10 year college reunion and before I left I sent my resume it was 2 months and I said ‘what the heck, I must not be a good candidate’. Back then we had answering machines, what was cute was I got home and I actually heard on the machine ‘hey this is so and so from Rochester’ and boom I was so excited and the rest is history .

Did you always want to be involved in sports?
Yes, in this capacity no.  I would never say I wanted to grow up and do laundry. But I think it is a crazy journey. I started off saying I am going to be an orthopedic surgeon I’m going to make money it’s going to be crazy, and then you go and learn things about yourself in college.  I decided I wanted to be a teacher, and I was a teacher for 6 or 7 years. I taught physical education I always enjoyed sports, but I walked into teaching and thought this could be cool. I think it was a blessing I was able to get sick, and yeah that’s weird to say it is a blessing to get sick, but if I don’t get sick and the school doesn’t close I’m still teaching and I wouldn’t have found a chance to do this. I find even though it took me 32 years I couldn’t be happier, you ask for a job you don’t consider work, you come in and you love it. Ya, I come in and complain sometimes, but I mean at least I don’t hate when I go to work.  I wake up every day and it’s fun.  I should try to meet more people, I know most of the athletes but the population of athletes is small. I try to be friendly to all the pit workers, and maintenance, and employees, but I definitely have the most impact on the athletes. 

What is your favorite thing about being an employee at Rochester?
The athlete’s mothers cooking (tomato pie, chicken rigis, cake balls) and celebrating a jacket victory.

What is your least favorite thing?
That every 4 years a group has to leave, there it is, pulling on the heartstrings.  Every 4 years you have to say good-bye wish them well hope that you have taught them something, but now it is time to go on with their lives. 

Who is your favorite team / who has the best apparel?
I cannot confirm or deny a favorite team, however football and baseball gear is very cool

Have you ever had a boss, fellow employee, or person in your life that has shaped you to be the boss that you are today? 
Not necessarily a boss, but you can learn a lot from the kids, cause most of them are smarter anyways; I try to be open to every idea. I always wanted to consider myself a motivator, inspirator but its tough when you say ‘go be passionate and fold this laundry’ If I have a kid working for me I try to make the experience a positive and happy one.  I try to push forth passion and I see kids getting worried about silly things and I want them to enjoy things and enjoy work.  They have the rest of their lives to worry about things, enjoy this time now. 

How would you describe yourself in two words?
Bald and beautiful

What changes do you hope will be made to Fauver stadium over the next 10 years?
I’m very excited to be apart of the changes, although I’d like to keep a respect to the past. Although we want to change it and make it modern, I’d like to keep the rustic appeal to Fauver, and make it unique.  Most importantly, bigger washers and bigger dryers … go big or go home! I’d also like it to be cockroach free, but that’s ambitious. 

What impact do you hope to leave on Rochester?
Brighter brights, whiter whites and the freshest smelling laundry this side of the Genesee!

Last but not least… the big question! Who is your favorite employee?
Obviously….

Meghan Liptak is a senior at the University of Rochester. She is majoring in Political Science and has been part of the Her Campus Rochester team as a contributing writer for over a year. Meghan looks forward to taking over as campus correspondent and copy editor of Her Campus Rochester this upcoming school year.
Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.