Interview Season – Part 2: In Progress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Now that we’ve gotten what do before an interview out of the way, it’s now time to tackle what to do during an interview!

Interviews are not always easy, nor are they the same. Therefore, do not treat each interview just like the next! For example, your college admissions interview is nothing like a summer internship or job interview. Yes, they may require the same professionalism and preparation, but not always the same answers.

Here’s some tips on how to tackle that dreadful interview!

During the Interview:

1. Identify: Make sure you identify what kind of position you are interviewing for. In other words, is this interview for an internship, job, graduate school, volunteer work, or e t cetera? Once you know what type of position/role you are interviewing for, you will have a better idea on how to tie your answers together with your personal experiences, position and the firm.

2. Materials: Bring an extra copy of your resume and business card with you. Interviewers and recruiters are busy, so they do not always have time to print out your application materials prior to the interview. Having an extra copy will not only make an interviewer/recruiter love you, but shows that you think ahead of time and are a prepared candidate. Lastly, you do not need to bring an entire copy of your application, a resume should be just fine. (PS: I know this should included this my previous post, but it totally slipped my mind!)

3. Arrival: It is absolutely critical that you arrive to your interview ON-TIME. Leaving or arriving a few minutes early is the best way to ensure that you are not only on-time, but avoids any unnecessary rush.

4. Etiquette: I know I mentioned this in my previous post so this might seem familiar. Once you practice how to properly greet your interviewer with a firm introduction and handshake, make sure you do it. This first impression can definitely either make or break the awkwardness in the beginning of your interview.

5. Posture: At some point in a girl’s lifetime, particularly in her childhood, she has been told to sit up straight – and you probably totally disregarded it. Well ladies, studies show that sitting up straight during an interview does not only highlight good posture, but also illustrate more confidence and professionalism in a candidate during interviews! So, as much as you hate it, sit up straight!

6. Body Language:  When speaking to your interviewer, make sure to maintain eye-contact and articulate well. If you gesticulate, like me, make sure to keep your hands under control and within your own personal space.

7. Answering Questions: Again, all interviews are different, therefore, all interview questions tend to vary. There will be few of “common” interview questions, but do not rely solely on your answers to those to get through the interview and secure your spot. Interviewers tend to ask “out-of-the-box” questions to see how you react to the question and how quick you are on your feet. Interviewers, but not all, are not neccessary looking for an answer, but are looking to see how well you use your problem-solving skills to answer a question you may or may not have been prepared for. Finally, try to keep all answers to just about a minute or two.

Some common questions:

• Tell me about yourself
  • Why are you are good fit for the position?
  • What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?

Some “out-of-the-box” questions (fun fact: these are real questions people have been asked):

• Why are manholes shaped like a circle?
  • What is your favorite Disney princess and how does she shape your definition of leadership?
  • If you could be a brick on any wall, which brick will you be?

**I will be complying a longer list of questions (both common & out-of-the-box) & answers in a post later this month!**

8. Asking Questions: I think one thing that people often forget to do at the end of an interview is to ask questions. An interview is a two-way street and if you walk out of there without asking a single question, then you basically told your interviewer you wasted their precious time. Interviewers want engaging interns and the best first impression of that is asking questions at the end of an interview. A good tatic is starting with one or two general questions, then ask one or two specific questions that relate to the firm, position and/or interviewer.

Some questions to ask:

• What is a typical day at the firm like? What is a typical day like for someone in this position?
  • Can you describe the company’s culture?
  • SPECIFIC EXAMPLE: I see you work in ______, what are some challenges and benefits you have faced in your role thus far?

9. Closing: Once interviewer has nothing else left to say, it’s time to wrap up! On your way out, make sure to thank your interviewer for their time, shake hands once again and say some sort of salutation.

Some salutations:

• “It was such a pleasure meeting, I look forward to hearing from you soon”
  • “Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me, I look forward to hearing from you soon.”

**Most salutations should end with “I look forward to hearing from you soon.”**

Following these tips will not only give you an idea on what to expect during an interview, but improves your chances of performing better. Remember to stay calm and do your best! The trick to acing an interview is just believing in yourself!

Best of luck & Meliora,

Michelle Mootreddy