Interview Season – Part 1: Preparation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

With a few days left in March, I have decided to pause my “Secrets We Share” segment. I think it would be silly to continue and end this segment with just two posts; therefore, I plan to start it back up in another month so I can adequately post more articles on the topic.

With that being said, I have decided to start a new segment titled: Interview Season

Whether you like it or not, interview season has already started and it is up to you to get yourself in shape! Whether they are for summer internships, jobs or even graduate school, it is important that you are equipped to tackle the interview from beginning to end!

And that’s why I am here! For the month of April, I will be offering some of my best advice on how to beat that interview from start to finish.

So, here are some tips on how to prep for a interview now that you have been selected:

BEFORE THE INTERVIEW

Confirmation: Make sure you confirm the date, time and contact information with whomever you are interviewing with. Not confirming can cause you to appear extremely unprofessional and result in either a load of confusion, cancelation of your interview or even both. It is also important to confirm whether or not it is an in-person, over the phone or Skype interview. You don’t want to spook your interviewer by showing up at their office when you were suppose to call them! Lastly, prior to the interview, make sure to thank them and acknowledge that you look forward to seeing them soon. Doing this makes you appear more polite.

Outfit: This is an interview, not a club, not a party, not you’re friend’s crib and it is definitely not your own crib. Do not let your outfit hinder your first impression to anyone in a professional setting. If your interview is more in the artsy-side (like digital art, photography, painting), I would wear something business causal (sweaters, slacks, button-downs, dresses) to be on the safer side. However, if your interview is something a little more business-ly, then your best bet is to dress strictly platonic and professional. And how does that look? Well, suits, pencil skirts, slacks, button-down shirts, ruffle tops, business dresses, closed-toe heels (NOT MORE THAN 3 INCHES), flats and blazers. All clothing items should be some neutral color, such as black, white or grey.

Research: If you plan on working for the company you are interviewing for, then you obviously should know who and what that company does! Make sure to do some broad research on what the company does, its goals, who is involved, its  accomplishments and how its a good fit for you and your interests. It also does not hurt to do some research on the position you are apply for and how your role will affect or interact with the rest of the company.

Prep: I am not saying to Google the hell out of the “Most Asked or Hardest Interview Questions”, but it does not hurt to do so. Make a list of a few sample questions you expect to be asked and practice answering them. It is super important have some answers prepared beforehand to avoid getting sidetrack. However, make sure not to go over the fine line between being too prepared and being too rehearsed.

Eat & Sleep: I cannot stress this enough! If you do not eat or sleep, you will not be as physically attentive as you would be!

Transportation: I think this is probably the most important thing on this list! You never want to be late to an interview, especially just because you could not find where it was. Make sure to Google Map the location and give yourself a few minutes of wiggle-room in case you do not find the place right away or any transportation problems.

Confidence: Just like the cheesy Instagram pics, confidence is key. The more confident you are, the better you will look and feel as a candidate.

Etiquette: Just as important as question preparation is, so is your presentation etiquette. Practice introducing yourself and performing a firm handshake prior to your interview. Whether or not the interviewer is expecting you, it is proper etiquette to re-introduce yourself in-person and greet him/her with a strong handshake. If you are woman, it is traditional to initiate the handshake. You will be surprised on how impactful a firm handshake and a solid introduction can go – especially for first impressions.

So the next time you get selected for an interview, try using some – or all – of these tips!

Additionally, it is also important to stay calm and never panic. I know it sounds cheesy and seems like worst advice ever, but it works!

Whether you’re biting your nails or going at it in your head, don’t ever let those nerves get to you. They will only cloud your judgment and cause you to totally bomb your interview!

Keep calm by taking deep breaths and thinking of positive vibes. The more you believe in yourself, the better things will go! 

Meliora,

Michelle Mootreddy