How to Make the Most of Winter Break with your High School Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

The semester is coming to an end. You know you’ll miss your school friends a ton, but another part of you is super excited because you get to spend time with all of your awesome friends from home. Whether you’re still really close to the same group or you’ve drifted apart in the past years, there’s a special place in your heart for them. After all, they’re the ones that lived through your middle school years by your side.

You’ve been texting, calling, tweeting, and snapchatting all semester and now it’s FINALLY time to see your high school besties. However, your visions of break don’t always align with reality. Work, family, and other problems can get in the way of your quality friend time. Here are some ways to make sure you see your best buds without going insane.

1. Plan, plan, plan

One of the easiest ways to let your break slip by is by not planning enough. I know, I know, you want to RELAX over break, not pull out your calendar. But this way, you are able to stay organized with your work schedule, family activities, and know exactly when you have free time to hang out!

2. Don’t overdo it

It can be really disappointing when you get home and realize that you don’t have the time (or the money) to do all of the amazing, awesome, exciting plans that you made while you were all trying not to think about finals. However, small activities can be just as meaningful. Grabbing a cup of coffee or lunch, running some errands, or even just hanging out watching TV can be a great stress-free way to catch up.

3. Balance

This is your winter break, but there are going to be a lot of people who missed you fighting for your attention. It’s important to make sure that you’re doing what YOU want to do, and not trying to please everyone else. This goes with planning; balance your schedule so that you are spending time with a variety of people.

4. Be understanding

Remember, just as you can’t do everything you’d like to, your friends are facing the same problem. It’s easy to get hurt when someone has to cancel, or you haven’t been able to catch up with someone yet. Don’t let this get you down, and certainly don’t take it personally.

Alex is junior from just outside Rochester, NY studying business and studio art. Ultimately, she is interested in a career in advertising. When Alex isn't studying, she can be found crafting or watching The Office for the 100th time. She has a passion for good puns and good food. She also has a pretty cool chocolate lab that typically takes up the majority of her snapchat story.