The Great American Smokeout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Although the University has restrictions on smoking, would you be able to say what they are off of the top of your head? More importantly, does anyone abide by them? According to the University smoking policy, “Smoking is not permitted in the area of any University building, including all residence halls. Smoking is prohibited within 30 feet of any University of Rochester building.”

What goes on behind closed doors in the university buildings is difficult to regulate, but it is obvious that the second clause of the rule is not followed. Students can be seen smoking as close as right outside the doors of popular buildings like Rush Rhees and Wilson Commons, leaving the rest the student population to face the residual effects.

What is being done about this? It doesn’t seem that there are consequences for breaking the 30 feet rule, as so many students confidently smoke within 30 feet of buildings. However, the university’s own Colleges Against Cancer group has been taking action to help reduce smoking on campus. CAC recently observed the American Cancer Society’s 37th annual Great American Smokeout on November 15th.  Colleges all across the country participate in this, and the purpose of this day was to educate people about the risks of smoking and encourage the signing of a pledge to quit smoking.

Information about quitting, getting help, and the Great American Smokeout in general can be found at http://www.cancer.org/healthy/stayawayfromtobacco/greatamericansmokeout/index. If the university isn’t going to enforce smoking restrictions strictly, it might then be best if quitting encouragement and smoking risk education continues to get spread around the campus. Reduction of smoking at Rochester would benefit the entire campus community; students can take the responsibility into their own hands!

Meghan Liptak is a senior at the University of Rochester. She is majoring in Political Science and has been part of the Her Campus Rochester team as a contributing writer for over a year. Meghan looks forward to taking over as campus correspondent and copy editor of Her Campus Rochester this upcoming school year.