This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

As a shopper who is completely lacking in any thrift store skills, I admire those who can spot unique and fashionable second-hand threads. I ran into Melissa Martin at the Earth Day celebration in Wilson Commons and was immediately impressed by her funky striped sweater, cat-eye inspired glasses and chunky heeled boots. After a brief warming, Rochester has returned to the cold and gray weather we all know, and sadly, we must dress accordingly. Despite our depression we cannot let the constantly fluctuating temperatures defeat our desire for style.

Melissa Martin
Class of 2013
Hometown: St. Louis
Major: English

Sweater: Church Sale in St. Louis
Jeans: Macys
Boots: Payless Show Store
Necklace: O’Byrne’s Catholic Supply Store
Glasses: Lulu Guinness

NG: What kind of activities are you involved with on campus?
MM: Just a few. Right now I’m performing in Todd Theater’s production of A Winter’s Tale. I also work for the Todd theater costume shop, and I’m a member of TOOP (The Opposite of People theater company). I work at Starbucks and I’m also a member of Gamma Phi Beta.

NG: What inspires your style?
MM: Oh man, whatever works really! For me, it doesn’t matter what you’re wearing or who you’re wearing, its how you wear it. As long as you can work it, any outfit looks great I think. You pick up stuff, you know, tips from friends and you observe what can work. Just know yourself and be creative.

NG: What is your favorite place to shop?
MM: Thrift stores. You can’t beat finding a completely unique piece and creating your own style for just a couple of bucks. It’s like finding little treasures.

NG: What is playing on your iTunes right now?
MM: Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole

NG: What is your absolute favorite piece of clothing?
MM: That’s so hard! I’m going to have to go with my green hat though. No, it’s not really clothing, but I wear it more than anything else. It goes with so many things, it adds a pop of color during these winter blues we all have, and the best part is it covers up the worst bad-hair days known to man.

Kaitlin Carragher is a junior at the University of Rochester majoring in Economics and minoring in Legal Studies.  While she has no previous experience with journalism, she is very excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.  Speaking of journalism, she put off writing this bio for four months, but hey who's counting?  Since her major's not quite her favorite thing, Kaitlin has spent most of her undergraduate career getting involved on campus.  She is currently President of the Epsilon Rho Chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority, an active member of student government, a Student-Alumni Ambassador, Relay for Life coordinator, and a few other other things--guess you can never have too many activities.  Originally from the suburbs of Boston, Kaitlin will be spending this summer in Dublin, Ireland, where she's hoping to finally be among people that are just as pale and freckled as she is.  Along with being pale, her other main weaknesses include a fear of the ocean, hatred of potato chips, and the inability to correctly pronounce "hot dog."  Kaitlin's current obsessions include Groupon, greek yogurt, and 90s pop music.  After college Kaitlin hopes to go into marketing, but she is currently searching for ways to extend the length of senior year to forever.