This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

It’s a difficult feat, straddling the seasons at the University of Rochester.  And staying fashionable at the same time is doubly troubling. But we can do it, girls! We can ditch the Uggs and the leggings. There are other ways to walk the runway into spring.
            Add pops of color with scarves and jackets. Find weather appropriate footwear that reflects your personality (worn down and salt stained is not a personality), and incorporate vintage items like belts and jewelry.

Sarah Karron sits across from me in a Humor Writing class. I love that she can make outdoor, weather-appropriate pieces totally cute. Look! North Face makes more than shapeless, black fleeces!

Sarah Karron
Class of 2011
Manhattan, NY
Political Science Major

Jacket: North Face
Tank: Banana Republic
Jeans: Gap
Scarf: Street Vendor in NYC
Belt: My uncles from the 1970’s
Boots: L.L. Bean

NG: So Sarah, what inspires your style?
SK: I usually wear all basics with one or two statement pieces. Any more is too overwhelming. In the winter, I get lazy and scarves are an easy and warm statement.

NG: Where is your favorite place to shop?
SK: J.Crew, H&M, Bloomingdales, American Apparel. I usually get my bolder pieces from the places that I travel to. I actually hate shopping, and I hold on to the same pieces for years.

NG: How has growing up in New York City shaped your fashion choices?
SK: I’m pretty open-minded about mixing pieces. If anything, I tend to reject trendy clothes. I see girls in the streets wearing ridiculous trendy clothes sometimes and I can’t help but think that when they look back on photos of themselves today, they are going to be so embarrassed. I like to dress for me, and it generally works. It works in New York–dress is a form of expression, so it’s important to look fresh. Otherwise you might be sending the wrong message.

NG: Are you doing anything fun for Spring Break?
SK: I’m going home to visit my parents! Then I’ll go to Binghamton to visit my best friend from home for a few days.

NG: What’s playing on your iPod these days?
SK: Fleet Foxes and Black Keys

NG: Tell my about your absolute favorite piece of clothing.
SK: I think its a tie between my Herringbone United Colors of Benneton fitted blazer and these L.L. Bean Tall Bean Boots. I’ve had [the boots] for almost 9 years. They magically go with everything and are perfect for Rochester!

Kaitlin Carragher is a junior at the University of Rochester majoring in Economics and minoring in Legal Studies.  While she has no previous experience with journalism, she is very excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.  Speaking of journalism, she put off writing this bio for four months, but hey who's counting?  Since her major's not quite her favorite thing, Kaitlin has spent most of her undergraduate career getting involved on campus.  She is currently President of the Epsilon Rho Chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority, an active member of student government, a Student-Alumni Ambassador, Relay for Life coordinator, and a few other other things--guess you can never have too many activities.  Originally from the suburbs of Boston, Kaitlin will be spending this summer in Dublin, Ireland, where she's hoping to finally be among people that are just as pale and freckled as she is.  Along with being pale, her other main weaknesses include a fear of the ocean, hatred of potato chips, and the inability to correctly pronounce "hot dog."  Kaitlin's current obsessions include Groupon, greek yogurt, and 90s pop music.  After college Kaitlin hopes to go into marketing, but she is currently searching for ways to extend the length of senior year to forever.