Fabricant Sportsmanship Award Winner: Allison Beardsley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

When did you start playing field hockey?
I quit cheerleading to become a field hockey player in the 8th grade- best decision I ever made!

Did you always want to play field hockey in college?
Throughout high school I thought I would play basketball in college, but then my senior year I decided field hockey was a better fit for me.

What attracted you to UR?
I really like UR’s academic flexibility and their reputation for being a great school. Also, speaking with Head Coach Wendy Andreatta solidified my desire to go here. I was excited about the opportunity for both a great education and an amazing athletic experience!

How did it feel to win the Fabricant Sportsmanship Award?
My coaches didn’t give me any hints that I would be winning this award, so I was truly surprised. But afterwards I felt honored to win this award. Sylvia Fabricant was an outstanding woman from what I have heard.

What else are you involved in on campus?
Outside of field hockey, I am also a member of the VSAAC committee and a Team Leader at the Goergen Athletic Fitness Center.

Any advice for underclassmen, specifically student athletes?
Have fun because four years goes by faster than you think!

What are you plans for next year?
I plan to move to Baltimore where I will have the opportunity to continue my education and be an assistant field hockey coach.

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.