Campus Celebrity: Michael Dedes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Everyone at the UofR knows Wilson Commons. Whether you have club meetings there, get your coffee at Starbucks, or even are just passing through to get to the tunnels, you’ve experienced Wilson Commons in one way or another. Wilson Commons even has the greatest events and activities open to its students, things that sometimes we can take for granted. But who makes this place run so well? Who is behind this central student union? Turns out there’s a team of employees who take care of all that. A team of incredibly fun and hardworking individuals who make our college experience that much better.

One of these great people is Michael Dedes! You are truly missing out if you have never met him before. Michael is currently the supervisor for The Common Market and Rocky’s Sub Shop.

Where did you graduate from?

I have gone to three schools for education. I went to Monroe Community College right out of high school and graduated in 2006 with an Associate Degree in General Studies. I then transferred to New York University and graduated in 2008 with a Bachelors Degree in Spanish Literature and Culture with a minor in Hellenic Studies which is the study of Modern Greece. Then, I did my Masters Degree at Syracuse University in Higher Education Administration with a concentration in Student Affairs and I graduated in 2011.

When did you join the UofR community?

I started worked at the U of R in June 2013

What made you want to work with students at Wilson Commons?

One of the reasons I got into this field was to work with students. A college campus is full of students who want to be involved, work together for the better good and learn skills like leadership and team building along the way. Working in a student union allowed me to be a part of that journey that students take. A student union, as you know through trainings, is more than just a building with meeting rooms and food. It is a place where student leaders make change, work together to better their campus, and learn about life outside of the classroom. I thrive off of this energy and I am grateful to be a part of the development that students go through during their experience in Wilson Commons.

What has been your favorite part about being a Wilco Employee?

The energy of both my student employees and my co-workers in WCSA. Working in a student union and a student activities office can be hectic at times due to the fact that we have programs, events, and meetings going on 24/7. Yet, the dedication my student employees and my co-workers bring to the table partnered with their energy and desire to do good makes me want to work harder. Being a part of Wilson Commons is being part of a vibrant environment where ideas become real and success can be achieved on all levels.

When you’re not being an awesome boss, what else do you like to do?

I love rediscovering the city of Rochester. Growing up here you forget how much the city really offers and I think I had to leave Rochester for a bit to appreciate it. I love discovering new places to eat, enjoy art, meet local entrepreneurs and be part of the new found vibrancy that Rochester is currently undergoing. I love to read and am addict to books so I spend a lot of time in Barnes and Noble purchasing books. I also enjoy going to the movies; I am not ashamed to say that I need a medium sized popcorn every time I go. Going to a movie without popcorn is sacrilegious.

What is your favorite place in the whole wide world? How about in Wilson Commons?

I can never pick just one! I love to travel so I have been to many places who have become a part of who I am. I grew up visiting family in a tiny village in northern Greece and those experiences from my child and teenage years are ones I cherish the most. I went to school in NYC as a young, small town 18 year old and left a 21 year old whose eyes were open wide because there truly is no place like NYC; I learned a lot and matured plenty during my time in the city that never sleeps. Then I studied abroad in Spain and spent the majority of my time in Madrid. That city is beautiful and one that is not stressful; you take in Madrid at your leisure and because of that you become more a part of your surroundings.

In Wilson Commons, my favorite place is anywhere my student workers are. The energy, smiling faces, and desire to work hard for Wilson Commons is contagious and I love seeing my student workers succeed in their positions.

Currently a Senior at the University of Rochester. I'm an English major, with a focus on media, editing, and publishing. I'm a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma, a member of College Feminists, and a Building Manager in Wilson Commons aka the greatest. In my free time (of which there is rarely any), I love to read, talk about/watch baseball, learn new things, and do fun things with my squad.