Campus Celebrity: Amber-Danielle Baldie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Amber-Danielle Baldie is a Rochester native who has been a fierce leader on campus since her freshman year! Though she’s graduating in just a few weeks, she’s definitely left a positive mark on our school, and has great advice for her fellow students. This week, she shared with us about her experience at UR, the many things she’s learned, the changes she’d like to see, and her plans for the future. 

Major and class yearStatistics, Class of 2015

Hometown: Rochester, NY

What groups/organizations have you been involved with at UR and why are they important to you?

I have been involved with the Douglass Leadership House since its inception in 2012. This was an organization that I joined in my freshman year and it has become an integral part of my college experience. It is an important part of my life because I found a network and more importantly a family that I will take with me far past the University of Rochester. I am also a member of the Pi Beta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and joining was the best decision I could have ever made. I now have a lifelong sisterhood of women that will always uplift and support me. I am a part of Indulgence Dance Crew and I love to dance. Classes get stressful and hip hop dancing is my stress reliever. I am very grateful that I have a crew of peers who love dancing just as much as I do. And we ROCK! 

What is something you’d like to change or improve at UR? 

I hope the University of Rochester works harder to make the campus as inclusive as I know it can be. Our campus has a race issue that we are uncomfortable with recognizing and as a result we ignore it in hopes that it will go away and it hasn’t. My hope is that the University takes race as seriously as they do sexual assault, because both are serious issues in need of attention. I also hope that the University hires more faculty of color and that this color is not just present in our dining and cleaning staff. Students of color should be able to see clear representation of those who look like them in high levels of power.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at UR?

I have two favorite moments. The first was the announcement that our organization, The Douglass Leadership House, would be renewed for another three years on the Fraternity Quad. The second was the day I crossed as a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. in the spring of 2013. Both moments were filled with excitement and tears of overwhelming emotion. 

What’s your favorite place to hang out in Rochester?

That’s easy, the Douglass Leadership House.

What’s the best class you’ve taken at UR?

Statistics 277- Intro to Statistical Software

How do you think you’ve changed in the past four years?

I have become unapologetic about who I am and what I stand for. I am now more determined to lead with a purpose. Before I was a leader, yes, but with no clear drive or goal. Now I know who I am and what is worth fighting for, and I will not stop until things are acceptable in my eyes. I have developed an “If not me, then who?” attitude. 

What are your plans for after graduation?

I am pursuing a career in banking so I will be working as an intern for a corporation of my choice to give me banking experience. And who knows, maybe I will come back to the University of Rochester to pursue my MBA at Simon School of Business. 

Any advice for fellow students?

Do not be afraid to take control of your life and see your visions come to fruition. If there is any time to go through a change or a major growth, it is now. We as students have all the power in the world, so go forth and be great!
Nikki Fox

Rochester

Nikki Fox is a Film & Media Studies and Spanish double major at the University of Rochester.