Camila Fernandes 2014 Class Council Business Manager

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.
1. How long have you been a part of the Senate?

I joined Senate last year at the beginning of my freshmen year. Therefore, I am part of Senate over a year now.

2. Why did you decide to run for Project and Services chair?

After being in Senate for a year, I got involved in almost all committees. I wanted to know inside details from the university, so I could share that with the average student that would never know it otherwise. I would say that my initial intention when I joined Senate was to help improve campus and Projects & Services gave me the opportunity to do so. I usually say that I gained more from the committee than I actually offered, because all the things I learned show me that the time I could dedicate to leisure, I am using for something bigger than me. Throughout the year, I wanted to get involved in more areas, because at the end of the day there were all connected. I am passionate about working with administrators since they really care, and are always willing to hear what we students have to say. At the end of last year, I decided to run for Projects & Services. It was a really hard decision since it would take a lot of my time, but I made my final decision after two moments. First, I was supposed to run with another person and the person ended up changing their mind, so I would have to run by myself. I realized I was willing to do that. Second, I went out to get dinner off campus when one of my friends asked me why I was so involved, and all I could say back was: Why are you not involved? Why would not you want to make the place you live better? Why would not you stop complaining to your friends about the school and do something about it? I guess that was the moment it clicked for me. I knew that was more important than anything, and I needed to do it, by myself or with someone. Gladly, I have an awesome Deputy Chair to work with, Sonja Page. To conclude, I ran for Projects & Services because I knew I could help improve students’ life, and I wanted to learn everything the position had to offer me. It made me a stronger person; it showed me that if we are dedicated and have passion we tend to succeed. It put me in a position where there were people who I wanted to learn from and who I could share my skills and help them be leaders and good citizens.

3. What are your goals for the Projects and Services committee this year?

Maintain and foster the relationship we have with administrators, because doing so we can reach out to any department to get any problem or suggested discussed. Sonja and I also want to make sure students know we represent them, we are here to address concerns, and the only way for us to do that is if we get enough feedback from students. Projects & Services is only effective if students know about what we are doing, and if we are in constant communication, whatever we claim during meetings is the overall feeling around campus. We have specific goals for all departments, but as I said before, because we work with a variety of departments the list of those goals are quite long but tangible.

4. What other activities are you involved in on campus?

I am in Phi Sigma Sigma. When I have time, I play volleyball and rugby.

5. What is your halloween costume going to be?

Not sure yet, but I will potentially be wearing a Flamenco costume

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.