Addiction Isn’t Funny…Unless It’s Charlie Sheen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

This past Thursday, taping of the hit show Two and A Half Men has been suspended indefinitely because star Charlie Sheen spoke out against the show’s executive producer on a radio show. He’s always been an interesting one to follow, considering his ‘substance abuse’ problems, and subsequent outrages from it. He’s so crazy, you’ve gotta love it. Sheen has always been someone to follow, from his recent issue with hookers to now getting his hit TV show cancelled single handedly, I felt it was necessary to point out a couple quotes from him from the past week.

When asked about his alcoholism, he reportedly responded that he doesn’t have a problem, and that he cured his addiction with his mind. The fact that he’s serious is nuts in itself, but still a crazy thing to say. Additionally he said “I am on a drug. It’s called Charlie Sheen. It’s not available because if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body”. Wow.
            Even though he’s entertaining, it’s integral to keep in mind that he has a problem. The public has such a fascination with famous people, its even more exciting when they’re out of their minds like this. Unlike other stars though, Sheen is completely against getting help.  Many stars have been to rehab for different reasons, and have come out better for it. He reportedly called Alcoholics Anonymous a ‘cult’, and (again), believes he can cure his alcoholism on his own. If he was in Alcoholics Anonymous for 22 years, and still didn’t get over his problem, how does he possibly think he’ll be fine on his own?
            Just one month ago, Sheen was in the tabloids for spending $500,000 on escorts and drugs in the past six months. Now he’s back for mouthing off on the radio about his producers on his show, which got cancelled. Yep, he’s totally fine alleviating his issues on his own.

By the way, the most absurd thing he’s said to date is “I’m not Thomas Jefferson. He was a p**sy”. I have no words.
Kaitlin Carragher is a junior at the University of Rochester majoring in Economics and minoring in Legal Studies.  While she has no previous experience with journalism, she is very excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.  Speaking of journalism, she put off writing this bio for four months, but hey who's counting?  Since her major's not quite her favorite thing, Kaitlin has spent most of her undergraduate career getting involved on campus.  She is currently President of the Epsilon Rho Chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority, an active member of student government, a Student-Alumni Ambassador, Relay for Life coordinator, and a few other other things--guess you can never have too many activities.  Originally from the suburbs of Boston, Kaitlin will be spending this summer in Dublin, Ireland, where she's hoping to finally be among people that are just as pale and freckled as she is.  Along with being pale, her other main weaknesses include a fear of the ocean, hatred of potato chips, and the inability to correctly pronounce "hot dog."  Kaitlin's current obsessions include Groupon, greek yogurt, and 90s pop music.  After college Kaitlin hopes to go into marketing, but she is currently searching for ways to extend the length of senior year to forever.