halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

M3GAN is a movie that recently came out in theaters over the winter break. I saw it twice. I am now this movie’s biggest spokesperson. Every time someone mentions this movie, I go on a rant on how much of a hidden gem this film is. But why? What exactly about this movie is so secretly genius?

What is this movie about? 

M3GAN stars an artificially intelligent robot girl, the eponymous M3GAN, who is built by a scientist named Gemma as a caretaker for her grieving niece, Cady. As Cady forms a close bond with M3GAN, the robot caretaker develops a thirst for blood in her mission to protect her. Hijinks ensue.

This sounds like Chucky, right? When walking out of the theater after my second watch of this movie I described it as “Chucky for gay people, even though Chucky is already for gay people, but this feels explicitly targeted at queers”. I am standing by that description, given how popular the movie was among online gays when it first came out. 

Why this is exactly is hard to say – the internet acts in mysterious ways – but if I had to pin it on anything I would say the movie is very camp. Many of us walking in were expecting a straight-up horror movie, but from the first scene we’re hit with the fact that this is very much a comedy with horror elements. We’re presented with a plethora of over-the-top scenarios and lines of dialogue that would raise an eyebrow from the audience in any other horror movie. However, this film saves itself from that reaction due to the fact that the story is in on the joke, and many of the moments of absurdity we see have an element of self-awareness. It is admittedly refreshing to see a movie that isn’t afraid to make fun of itself and go over the top for entertainment’s sake in a fun way.

Should you watch this movie?

If you’re not into camp, then probably skip this movie. If you’re into camp, then this is your movie. I personally had a great time, and I would highly recommend giving this movie a chance and seeing it for yourself. Probably bring friends, it’s a much funnier experience when you’re reacting to the absurdity in a group.

If your parents ask what turned you gay, just send them a link to one of my articles.