DVF\'s Own It: The Secret to Life book
DVF\'s Own It: The Secret to Life book
Phaidon

In Defense of Being Average

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Growing up, I struggled with the question “What is your passion?” While I enjoyed many activities, I couldn’t settle on one straight answer. I thought in order for something to be your passion, you had to be really good at it.

In middle school, I played soccer, did track & field, played the violin, and learned Spanish. Before those, I had tried gymnastics, swimming, volleyball, and even the saxophone. I guess I had hoped that I would fall in love with just one of those activities and become the best at it.

Some of my peers were selected to perform in the chamber orchestra, while others were pulled up to play soccer for the high school’s Varsity team. I, however, had neither of these experiences. I played the violin in the school’s general orchestra and played two years of modified soccer before I played on even the Junior Varsity team. Though there is nothing wrong with being average, I always thought to myself that it meant I was not good enough. Eventually, I made the varsity track and field team in the long jump event, but how could I call the long jump my passion when I wouldn’t even be competing in college?

There is power in being average.

The keyword is balance. I found that having a balanced life means more than being the best in everything you do. Being average allowed me to enjoy many different activities, each with their own life lessons and experiences. I learned teamwork, cooperation, communication, and how to work hard even when you are not “good” at something. 

Challenges

I had a realization just this year. In my first year of college, I struggled with the classes in my major and overcame multiple health issues (including two trips to the emergency room). While it was not easy, I loved it. I loved the challenges college faced me with. Just because my classes are challenging and do not come easy to me, does not mean that I will not be successful in my career or could not call Biomedical Engineering one of my passions. Calling something your passion does not have to mean that you are the best at it. Last Winter, I tried skiing for the first time. Though I left my ski trip to the Adirondacks with a concussion, I fell in love with skiing and want nothing but to get better at it. 

Let yourself have passions

Passions come and go as I grow up and there is nothing wrong with that. I am able to let go of activities I used to love, in order to welcome new ones. It is not that I do not have a passion, it is that I have many, and they are constantly changing. Right now, my passion is in balance—being able to try anything and everything is the most valuable skill I have. My passions are learning, skiing, exercising, and helping others. And I am excited for the passions I have yet to find.

Hi, I am a biomedical engineering major at RIT and intend to graduate in 2025! I am new to writing, but love hanging out with friends, working out, and skiing!