Ideal Resolutions for the New Year 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Now that the new year is in full swing and many people have shared their goals and aspirations for this year, everyone is sharing their New Year’s Resolutions and ongoing progress. I think it’s time for me to share a few of my resolutions–and better yet, they can be yours too!

Skin Care Regimen 

I have always kept my skin care routine fairly minimal because my skin has always been pretty clear and I never experienced any huge acne outbreaks. My skin care goals have just been to keep my skin clean and moisturized, and my current skin care routine has done a decent job of maintaining those qualities. 

Recently I have been wanting to explore different products and techniques that can make my skin really glow. Maybe I’ll invest in some Korean skin care products later this year, but for now I’ll work on increasing my water intake. 

Money Management  

As a college student it can become difficult to manage money. Between purchasing textbooks for class and stocking up on household items, money is being stretched thin. I will admit that I am guilty of putting a lot of money towards streaming platforms, ordering food out, and occasionally buying books from Target just to stack onto my already long TBR list. 

A goal of mine this year is to give my bank account a break by only spending money on essentials, using cash for smaller purchases, and eating in more. I have a long way to go, but I am committed to making progress. 

Read More Books 

As stated previously, I have a pretty long TBR list that I have hardly made a dent into. It’s been hard to pick up a book in between the madness of classes, homework, and extracurriculars. When I finally have time to kick back and take a moment to breathe, the last thing I’ve wanted to do is read a book. In my free time I’ve resorted to getting in my bed, turning on one of my comfort shows while simultaneously scrolling through social media on my phone. 

However, a goal of mine this year is to use the time that I spend on my phone and watching TV and dedicate that to reading some of the books that are on my TBR list. One book that I have started that I am looking forward to finishing is, A Journal for Jordan, a memoir by Dana Canedy. 

Battling Procrastination 

As a lot of college students are, I am notorious for putting assignments and tasks to the last possible minute. It works for the most part, but personally it can take a toll on me knowing that I have projects, essays, and other assignments to do and they are gradually being stacked on top of one another with more work having to be done in a short amount of time. 

As the semester progresses and there are more assignments to get done and events to attend, it can be easy to forget about them as well, which has happened to me quite a few times. As a way to alleviate this issue, I purchased a calendar whiteboard from Target and hung it right by my desk so that I cannot avoid seeing everything I need to do. 

On it I write down what major things I have going on each day including the time and place. I also write down a list of tasks that I need to complete in order of priority. Ever since I started using this whiteboard it has helped keep me organized and accountable for attending events and completing assignments. I am hoping to keep up this momentum throughout the year. 

When the year comes to a close, hopefully I can think back to this time and celebrate the progress that I have made on these resolutions. 

Hi, I'm Leah! I am a Journalism and Communication double major and a member of RIT's Step Team. I love writing and am looking forward to sharing my think pieces with everyone!