How I Used the Law of Assumption to Heal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

DISCLAIMER: This article is purely based on the experience and research done by the author. This article is not scientifically factual and is opinion-based.

If you’re up to track with the latest trends, then you probably have stumbled across one or two tarot readings on TikTok. If you’re as curious a some, then you’ve done your research into different crystals, searched up moon signs, and tried multiple manifestation methods.

As someone who is not as spiritual as individuals interested in practicing tarot readings as using crystals to cleanse different aspects of their life, I never really understood the appeal of trying to see the Universe as a higher power to connect to. It wasn’t until I started researching the Law of Assumption that I started to slowly get into the practice of finding my own spiritual and moral rules.

To start off, this isn’t about finding a new religion or worshipping a higher power. When it comes to manifesting, using affirmations, and wanting to attract all that I desire, I believe in whatever I believe in. You don’t have to feel pressured into being religious or spiritual: it’s about having a better mindset and feeling at peace with our body and soul. While there is a whole history of where using the Law of Assumption and manifesting originated from, my experience of trying to use the Law of Assumption is purely based on what I learned and experiment with.

The Basics

The first thing I did in my research was to understand the difference between the Law of Assumption versus the Law of Attraction. A common intention I hear is saying “I don’t chase, I attract.” While I love the idea of anything that belongs to me (like having my dream career, for example) will find its way into my life, we mostly attract what we can see, feel, or hear. This makes it difficult to use the law attraction on things that are not yet ours or physically present in our lives.

When understanding that there are desires and needs in our life that we don’t have a hold of, there comes the desire to dream about it and crave it until it is finally ours. This is where the Law of Assumption plays its role. When we run with the mindset that something we want is already ours, we stress less about the future of getting it and live in the present of working towards it.

Manifest, Manifest, manifest

Contrary to belief, when we manifest, it doesn’t matter what manifestation method we use. I was the kind of beginner who watched multiple clips on different ways to manifest certain things like drinking moon water, folding a letter and putting it under my pillow while I sleep, and many more.

My successes and failures on manifestations didn’t result from which strategy I used, it was more about what I believed to work, what I was comfortable with doing, and the intentions I set while doing it.

As someone who loves to write poetry and fantasize about multiple scenarios in my head, I started to try journaling. From writing lists to what I want in my life to writing notes to myself to writing full out scenes I envision detail to detail, I use those as ways to manifest certain things into my life. By doing so, I not only share to myself what I want, but I feel more confident in myself when I write as if whatever it is I desire is already mine.

Using the Law of Assumption is as easy as saying to ourselves, “this is mine, it will come to me with no harm done, and so it is.” It’s about thinking and admitting to ourselves that something as big as financial security or as little as a healthy habit is something that we can easily obtain and not stressing too much about getting there.

Beating Intrusive thoughts

It’s not about neglecting the whole idea of getting whatever it is that we want. Using the assumption that something is already ours isn’t a process of being lazy and expecting it to show up in our hands; it’s trusting the process and believing that every day we are one step closer to the right path.

Thinking that we have to have a positive mindset 24/7 is toxic and more damaging to our health than we realize. No matter how powerful our minds can be, we’re still human. It’s normal to have doubts, to be anxious, to stress, and to feel weighted down by the negatives of the world.

When we use the Law of Assumption, we allow ourselves to feel a moment of sadness to process our doubts, and then, we dig into the root of where our negative thoughts come from. When we begin to understand why we feel weary and doubtful, we beat our intrusive thoughts by remembering that we never know the story on the other end and there is always room to grow.

When we challenge our intrusive thoughts with the idea of making progress with baby steps, we learn to control our emotional responses and feel less inclined to give up easily. Yesterday, I felt hopeless and allowed myself to have a moment of breaking down and letting out my emotions. Today, I focus on realizing that emotional breakdowns and setbacks are normal. That’s how I got the motivation to write this article and step right back into my powerful self.

AFFIRMATIONS AND TIPS

Once again, when it comes to finding out a strategy you want to use to put down affirmations or to manifest, using specific manifestations is optional (and slightly controversial). Sammy Ingram, an amazing personal instructor who guides individuals on how to use the Law of Assumption, explains in many of her Youtube videos that the problem with using certain manifestation methods is the idea of doing it in a strict-followed way.

Ingram explains that manifesting is all about the (good) intentions you set when manifesting something and the power we use into it by believing it-if you’re doubting that whatever you want to manifest will come true, the doubt takes over the reality of you actually having it.

While I have tried a few different techniques, my favorite is just being able to journal whatever I want. If what I want can be seen in a dream or vision, I write it out by the little specific details. If there are general things I want, I list it like a checklist while checking them all off as if I already received it. If it’s something that I can affirm to have, I write it in a note to myself and tape it to my mirror to read it every day.

Affirmations don’t just have to be specific items as well; they’re mostly to affirm yourself that a concept or an idea is within your power. One of my favorite affirmations is “I am enough, I am power.” Any affirmation that starts with ‘I am’ has the greatest influence in what I affirm. Rather than use the terms ‘I wish’ or ‘I want’, starting your affirmation with ‘I am’ can make a big difference in how we truly believe something is in our life.

and so it is

You don’t have to put the term ‘Law of Assumption’ to label your way to healing. How you decide to strategize your life and how you aim for goals is totally up to you. You can do the big research and experiment with manifestation methods, use affirmations, attracting and assuming, whatever it is that your heart desires.

It took me a while to figure out that using the Law of Assumption in my life was to be at peace with not just what I already have in my life, but at peace with what’s coming. At the end of the day, it’s all about keeping track of our dreams and envisioning it into our life, implying it is already ours, and admitting to ourselves that we have fears but not letting them take over.

It’s how I challenge myself to continue to try more, day by day, and not feel loaded with the work I’m doing to get to my end goals. I believe that it’s going to be in my life, and I act like it already is. And so it is.

RIT Student double majoring in Communications and Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies! Advocating for social change and justice, women empowerment and Latina rights. Blog: www.BeTheAesthetic.blog; shop: www.BeTheAesthetic.shop art/designing account IG: @betheaesthetic